Notices
View Poll Results: What have you found helps your depression most?
medication
10.71%
counseling
7.14%
support of friends, relatives or online groups like SR
3.57%
exercise and diet
10.71%
Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
0%
A combination of the above
67.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Things we do to Get Better

Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lightbulb Things we do to Get Better

What helps your depression most?

Let's share our ESH in one place. This can be a really good resource for all of us. So, just check that which is most important for your recovery from depression.

If there are others things, not listed, please feel free to list them in a post.
If there are multiple things, feel free to note that also!

Shalom!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'll go first.

Mine is a combination of things, some of which were listed, and others were not.

I feel best when I take care of myself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Physically, I have to eat right and exercise regularly. Aerobics, weight training, pilates, yoga, swim, bike, whatever you like.

Mentally, it's good to always learn new things; keep an active mind. It doesn't have to be rocket science. We can take up pottery, or a language; music class or any type of adult education that we've always wanted to know.

Emotionally, positive affirmations and bubble baths; therapy or 12 step programs, (if appropriate). Actively rejecting negative thoughts that intrude. Connecting with friends for a lunch, or an afternoon/evening out doing somehting fun.

Spiritually, reconnecting with the G*D of your understanding; your spirit; or the universe. Recognizing the oneness of it all. Take adult classes at your church, mosque or synogogue.

It's difficult to do all of this when deeply depressed. But, starting with one, and working up to the four each day will make a marked improvement in your life. At least, it does with mine!

This doesn't mean I reject medication and/or therapy when necessary. I do both when I need it. But, honestly, when I am doing the above, I've never been at a place where I needed the medication and/or therapy!
Coincidence?

So, that's what makes it for me, anyway.
I hope there's something here that will help someone else.

Shalom!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Teach said it best; for me as well it is a combo of all of the things that works the best.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Without the meds I am incapable of anything else, so I voted for meds.

But hubs and I have been getting excercise and changed our eating, started taking vitamins and that is helping tremendously as well. Our excercise is working in the garden so there is an immediate reward. We eat fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, don't have dinner stabilized yet but we are working on it. Hubs made the greatest garbanzo beans with sausage and chirizo etc in the crockpot, cuban style.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oh, that sounds good!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Shalom!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hippy

Meds have helped me initially, but then the fact that I am on them depresses me !

Talk therapy definately helps me.

Being busy. Being with people.

Hippy
Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Meds allow me to get out of bed and (in no particular order)
1) exercise
2) make effort to look good and so feel good
3) play with my dogs (OK....that should be # 1!)
4) eat proper meals.
5) connect with people (or more accurately, be willing to try)
Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The meds keep my depression manageable enough that I WANT to do all the other things that help me, like counseling, exercise, etc. Meds are at the top of the list, but the other things help a lot too.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Without the meds. there would be nothing else
Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober and Loving It!

I do everything listed in the poll.

I really do need to exercise more often though. I am almost 2 months sober, and for some reason I have had NO energy over the last couple of weeks. Probably the ol' body healing from the years of abuse.

My meds help big time with my mood swings/binge drinking.

I eat super healthy.

Take supplements.

I just started counseling to get to the route of why I was a raging drunk for a few years. I actually know why.... just need help to rid the baggage.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yea, I'm not doing good with the exercise either.
But, school's out for summer now.
(I love Alice Cooper's song! )
And I'll be able to concentrate now and focus on daily exercise.
That will help.
For me, that's the hardest part...

Shalom!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

The ECT treatments have helped the most actually. After an initial series of 6-8 I feel like a switch was flipped and i'm normal again. Problem is that this episode is so bad that i'm already in need of another series, but can't take 2.5 weeks off work to get it done.

But it works! better than all the meds i've ever tried - combined. (which is a repeat of the words Patty Duke said to me last month when I told her of my treatments.

hugs,
Jenna

p.s. I'm looking into possibly undergoing a VNS implant now...dunno yet, but i'll probably have it done.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Medication and counseling for me.
The meds are critical though.
I get lazy on the counseling.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Medication, frequent contact with other recovering women, exercise (when I can), counselling (my addictions doc is sick though, and off for at least 6 months ),
sleep whenever I need it, contact with HP, gardening.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

let's see,
med for my BP2
solitude= daily 'practice'
gratitude
laughter
exercise
sunlight
mindful eating
nutritional supplements
in that order..
oh, and, counselling if I get really stuck
Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I sometimes try a quick fix when i feel a lull, extra B6, 1o minutes in the sunlight and some excersize, stretches or jumping jacks can sometimes help
Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If I didn't have my meds for my depression I wouldn't be.....anywhere. After a lot of years of trial & error...I am stable and can function without forcing myself. I have trouble doing exercise...need to walk my dog and she loves it and it makes me feel better.

Pupmum,

My little Rat Terrier looks just like your dog only she is a lighter tan with white body with some spots on her.

She is so delightful when she and her partner...a big baby Airedale...play together but they also get in trouble together too.

I have been sober a long time and also have been getting steady follow-ups with my doc that long for my depression. SSRI's were the answer for me...Effexor XR & Lexapro used together.

kelsh
Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I took meds one time for a very short while years ago. I got of of them and never went back to that Dr. I hated the way they made me feel. I could not function on them.

I much prefer natural Drs. for my internal workings and balanced health. Modern Medicine is best with trauma cases but, they don't seem to know much about body balance cause a lot of people are injured and killed by meds. For me personally I prefer treatments where death is not one of the side effects.

I eat right and exercise and stay away from added sugar....
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I joined a codependency group, see a counselor, take my meds and eat healthy. I am trying to purge my life of a toxic friend and meet new healthy happy sober people. Just tring to get happy in general.....
Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Medication helped me to a level where I could get out of the house without disabling panic. From there I was able to get counseling, groups at the mental health clinic and the library. And after more treatment at the clinic my depression symptoms lessened. The dispassionate moods, lethargy and a-motivational symptoms have all been, to my surprise, relived with one med change about a year and a half ago. Before the last med change I was feeling sorta okay. You know, getting stuff done (barely) but spending all my free time (I had plenty of) in front of the TV.

Now I do plenty of recovery efforts. And besides that I have a girl friend (also in recovery) and go to sober social events at the Alano Club. All I can say is WOW! Who is this guy....he's NOTHING like the old me.