Notices

Need input on Depakote

Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need input on Depakote

Friends,
I haven't posted here in a while. I was wondering if anyone had any info on Depakote. (not sure if I am spelling it correctly). My daughter was on Lithium and was gaining a lot of water weight and felt puffy all of the time. I could see it also. She recently had an accident and was put on vicodin. Had trouble getting off of it and went to methadone. It seems the combination is making her very tired all of the time. Her methadone is a low dose.

She had a pdoc spp. yesterday and the doc said lithium does not make you gain weight. I disagree with that. What are your thoughts? Well, with a little arguing the doc said she could switch to depakote. She said she doesn't normally use that for bi polar. What are your thoughts?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.
Thanks............................................ ....Lo
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our mental health forum. I am not sure how much help my input will be but here it is.

I was switched to Lithium because of the weight gain I experienced while on Topamax. Weight gain is not a normal side effect of Lithium but some people have untoward effects from medications. I have never used depakote but I believe there are several people here who have experience with that medication.

There could be several factors involved in the weight gain besides the medications. It would be a good idea to have her family practice/primary care doctor take a look at her. Thyroid issues, liver problems, overeating, lack of exercise, and many other things can cause weight gain as well as medications. Both my primary care physician and phys doc work pretty closely together to to make sure that medical and mental health issues are all being addressed.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Depakote is known for the side effect of weight gain!

It's also common for lithium.
A simple google search showed this without any effort at all.
Though, I have no experience with either one.

Shalom!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Teach and Nan for your replys. It seems from what I have read that Lithium is better for bi polar with more depression. Depakote is better for bi polar with more mania. That being said Depakote would be better for my daughter because she doesn't have much depression. It seems she experienced a lot of swelling in her hands and face with Lithium. More like puffiness.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Depakote made very irratable. Aggravated.
Depakote also comes with regualr liver tests because it damages it.
Mixed with seroquel made me violently ill.
No experience with anything else.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I don't know, it might be a little late to respond to this thread - I just started looking at this forum. I mostly have stayed in the Newcomers to Recovry Forum.

But anyway - I'm Bipolar I and I actually take Lithium, Seroquel and Depakote. I have found a good mix with them that really helps me stay stable. In addition, I watch my calories very closely and try to exercise 2-3 times a week. The weight gain I experienced when I was initially diagnosed and medicated, was from an increase in hunger and therefore an increase in calories. If I can control that, I am fine. I've actually lost 25 pounds since Jan 1!

I think it's just a matter of working closely with a good prescriber. That makes all the difference for me.

I'm sorry your daughter is suffering. I hope things get better for her.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mle-Sober,
Thank you for your reply. I'm glad that you found a good mix that works for you. It has been a week for my daughter on depakote and she says she feels pretty good on it. She was tired at first but that seems to be getting better. Her mix is depakote, seroquil,topomax. Her puffiness seems to have subsided. It seems with lithium for her she gained water weight. She lost 5 pounds since she stopped it. I hope it continues to work for her.

Congrats on the 25 pounds, that's great!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hurt again

Lobo-

How is your daughter on Depakote? My husband is on and it is turning him into a zombie. He has also been feeling bad and sick to his stomach. I can't tell if it is the meds or the depression that is causing all this. He also mixed with beer one night and had a scary sleepwalking episode.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was on depakote I did put on some weight and it made me feel lathargic. Lithium did not have the weight gaining factor for me, but I did not like it for other reasons.
I was recently put on lamictal and weight gain is not a symptom and I feel good on it.