Notices

Update on my son

Old 06-05-2008, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on my son

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd give an update. I took my son to the ER about a month ago with a high fever and symptoms of what I thought was tardive dyskenesia (sp). The ER Dr. said, "No TD looks like this." And he contorted his body and rolled his eyes back. But they admitted my son and took him off of his antipsychotic in case it was causing his other symptoms.

He was terribly ill and in the hospital for a week. They finally determined it was rocky mountain spotted fever. It took about a month but he's pretty much back from that.

And guess what? When they released him and put him back on his antipsychotic the symptoms of TD came back. Turns out the Dr.'s description is only in cases where people don't know enough to get help sooner. TD can become permanent and is nothing to mess around with. He's on cogentin now and seems better than at any point in the last 6 months.

He begins summer school (1 class at a community college) today to try and gauge his ability to go back to school in the fall.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thank you for the update. It sounds like the doctor did not have much experience with psychiatric meds and TD. TD is best caught early before it gets to the state the doctor described. Usually a psych doc is pretty good about catching the signs of it early. Sounds like they have it under control now. I am glad you were on the ball. Take care and hopefully things are on the upswing for you now.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm sorry you and your son had to experience that.
But, I'm glad it's over now, and that he's doing better.
Hope he has a wonderful experience in school.

Shalom!