Notices

alcoholic encephalitis

Old 06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholic encephalitis

my father now has alcoholic encephalitis, he has brain damage basically through drinking, he is ok though he is alive, his kidneys work at 15% his liver not too well either.

i ask his if he feels ok, if he feels and thinks the same way before he went into hospital (many many times) over the past year, he tells me hes the same and thinks the same. i know hes not, i have lost my father in many respects but give thanks to god he is still here, he is a different man, even his speech is slow. i love that man to death and hes broke my heart, i wish i had found this site when i was actually going through the pain (only last year).

my father was a publican, its something the brewery's do not like to admit that happens to their employees, research shows that more publicans die from alcohol relates illnesses than in any other occupation.

i am sad
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what is a publican?

I am sorry about your father...
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a publican is a person who runs or manages a pub or club for a brewery, so if you go to your local bar and the bar or club is owned by a brewery, the manager is a 'publican'.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Jacki,
I'm sorry for your pain.
There's a forum here on SR, specifically for the friends and family of alcoholics.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/
There, you can find much support from people who hare going through the same things you have and are experiencing. And through sharing our experience, strength and hope, we learn to get on with our lives, and learn to thrive once more.

Also, I highly recommend alanon meetings. The 12 Step program helps many facing those same problems of a loved one who has problems with alcohol.

I hope this helps. Let us know. We care.

Shalom!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's always sad to realize our parents often become
frail and ill as they age.
Now that I too am old....72
I get peeved with what is natually happening with my health.

For me...my alcoholism did not permanetly do damage
it's just that I am wearing out my body and brain.

My parents and grandparents ...non drinkers...did the same

Blessings to you and your Dad
May you both find peace with this situation
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry jacki, that is very sad. At least he is still alive, and still has cognitive function. Ive had family members, my uncle, and my granddad (before i was born) die of alcoholism, it is definitely a serious disease.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I am thinking of u and your pain. I lost my dad to the drink he was only 50. he missed all the milestones in my life like my graduation, marriage and kids so I know how u feel. Love him all u can while he is here......
Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adut Child of an Alcoholic

Hello- I know this thread is old, but I found it and this site after a web search for "alcoholic encephalitis" as my mother is now similarly afflicted. Obviously, I am also the child of an alcoholic and I know very well that it is a family disease and how it affects us even as adults and throughout our lives. One user recommended Alanon; I would like to throw in my two cents for anyone else who may find this as I did. Alanon is a wonderful resource for spouses and partners of alcoholics in particular. However, as an adult child of an alcoholic, I personally found their message did not quite "fit" with my situation and, at my father (who is also an ACoA)'s urging, I sought out the related 12-Step Program Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA). They provide a wonderful support system and resource for people whose parents were Alcoholics or other Addicts and similar dysfunctional family systems, whether you yourself are an alcoholic/addict or not. Everyone's individual needs are different, so it is good to keep awareness of all the different resources available. If anyone has questions or wants to discuss further, you are welcome to contact me. Best wishes to all for happiness, good health, and serenity!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

lifeonerth....Welcome to SR

All my best to you and your Mother...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, lifeonerth