Notices

just started taking lexapro 4 days ago...

Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just started taking lexapro 4 days ago...

for anxiety and depression, and i feel more anxious then before. Is this normal? I can't sit still, i feel like i wanna jump out of my skin.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, offhegoes,
And welcome to SR, and the MH forums!

I've never taken lexapro, but, others will be here to share their experience.
I hope you begin to feel better soon.

Shalom!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I took Lexpro for nearly 2 years. It worked well for me. But in some people certain antidepressants can increase anxiety. I would suggest talking with your doctor about the increase in anxiety as you doctor may want to change you to a different medication. I had a similar reaction to Welbutrin.

Welecome to our mental health forum
Old 05-18-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

I just found this, and thought you would be interested:
Special warnings about Lexapro
In clinical studies, antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children and adolescents with depression and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Lexapro or any other antidepressant in a child or adolescent must balance this risk with the clinical need. Lexapro has not been studied in children or adolescents and is not approved for treating anyone less than 18 years old.

Additionally, the progression of major depression is associated with a worsening of symptoms and/or the emergence of suicidal thinking or behavior in both adults and children, whether or not they are taking antidepressants. Individuals being treated with Lexapro and their caregivers should watch for any change in symptoms or any new symptoms that appear suddenly--especially agitation, anxiety, hostility, panic, restlessness, extreme hyperactivity, and suicidal thinking or behavior--and report them to the doctor immediately. Be especially observant at the beginning of treatment or whenever there is a change in dose.
Lexapro makes some people sleepy. Until you know how the drug affects you, use caution when driving a car or operating other hazardous machinery.
Lexapro Drug Information and Side Effects (Escitalopram oxalate) on HealthSquare.com

You may want to call your doctor and report this, if it's an increase in anxiety. Most especially if there are any of the other symptoms too.

Best of luck to you. And please let us know how you make out.

Shalom!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks...i was hoping it would go away and was just from starting the meds. but I'll contact my dr.
thanks again.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

That's a good decision.
Please let us know what the doc says.
We care!

Shalom!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lexapro..

Hi offhegoes,

I have taken Lexapro with my Effexor XR for two years now. I was on just Effexor XR & Lithium before this...but had a continuous flat affect.

When I started Lexapro my mood got better, slept better, and had less anxiety. I can see where it could make someone more anxious if they have other meds that might also cause some anxiety.

It does not make me sleepy like some people...but everybody reacts differently to meds. Lexapro is a SSRI which balances out the Serotonin in my brain...Effexor is a SSRI too and does the same for me....which I must have really needed because I am doing better than I have ever done in my adult life with this combo of meds.

The best thing to do is talk with your doc about the medicatiion Lexapro and see what would be best for you. Some of my meds in the past have worked completely opposite from what they were supposed to do.

retiredmom...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I never took Lexapro but I was close, anxiety can rise with almost any medication you take that effects the brain...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks all for your replies.
The anxiety has subsided but it makes me so tired...so I'm starting to take it at night. Haven't noticed a difference yet. Soon maybe
Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi Off -

I took lexapro for half a year or so after stopping drinking... the paperwork says to give it up to two months to get completely settled in the chemistry. But the normal time for a difference is noticeable after around four to six weeks.

If that helps.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sewer Dweller

Im on lexapro, and for the first month or so I felt quite strange. I had to have my GF make sure I wasnt acting to strangely. But after a month or so, I felt great, now I don't feel like Im on anything, I just feel generally better. Happier.

I did have my dosage upped after four months though because I was still having crummy days but now hardly ever.