Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

I have a terrible pattern of behaviour and I need some help

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recently I've realized that I have an odd pattern of behaviour. Whenever something happens in my life that is beyond my control, I tend to lash out at others or make inappropriate relationship decisions regarding the people closest to me in my life, as a means to regain some feeling of control in my life again. A big example that I can give you is that when I have faced bullying at work or unjustified terminations of jobs, I have then in turn made horrible choices in my other more personal relationships, that have often times resulted in terribly torn and unfixable situations. I am realizing that I do these things as a way of trying to regaining some control again in my life. Does anyone else here do this? And can any of you give me any suggestions about what I can do to stop doing this. I wasn't even aware that I do this until very recently, but when I look back on other situations in my life, I can see that this is a terrible pattern I've had for years. How can I stop this? Does this sound like Bi-polar?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I wish I had some input for you other than it does not sound like the bipolar I have.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I dont know if you can get an 'official' confirmation anyplace - but it is more a CPTSD thing.

I've met several women this way - I'm sure men are, too -
but my experience is with post- battering women.
Seeing this behavior, I mean.

It kicks in the trauma ...
and where others will be cowed or cower -
(by a bully, or just an idiot in general)

*I* just plain get mean.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Its great now that you have realized this behavior and what triggers it. The more self aware you become the more you will be able to cognitively arrest your response behavior.

Being wronged by someone(or so i perceived) used to have an extreme effect on me only i would react inwardly hence the drinking problem. Once i was helped to analyze my reaction, question why it effected me so strongly and what does it really matter, i was able to slowly over time change how i feel and respond when wronged or hurt. I no longer let others rent space in my head or give them the power to to effect how i feel(for very long)

Its not easy and doesn't happen over night but now you have determined were you need to start.

disclaimer.........what i just said may be way off base
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

uh...yeah. Put me down for the same disclaimer - LOL!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I know for myself when things went bad in my life I took it out on me. One way that manifested was depriving myself of love by driving others away.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

uh...yeah. Put me down for the same disclaimer - LOL!!!

Seeker -

what I 'read' in what you posted was -

this 'fight' behavior - it's not exactly something you can 'catch' - right? It's like it's already happened... before you realize it has, right? YOu can't stop in the middle of it - because you don't know wanything has occurred until it's already over.....

If so - my personal suggestion is to read up on PTSD.