Notices

Borderline personality disorder?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Borderline personality disorder?

I keep hearing about borderline personality disorder, but I just can't wrap my head around exactly what it is. Descriptions that I read of it are so broad. Here is one from Wikipedia:

"Disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder are wide-ranging. The general profile of the disorder typically includes a pervasive instability in mood, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting", chaotic and unstable interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, as well as a disturbance in the individual's sense of self. In extreme cases, this disturbance in the sense of self can lead to periods of dissociation.[2] These disturbances have a pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life. This includes the ability to maintain relationships in work, home, and social settings. Common comorbid conditions are "Axis I" disorders such as substance abuse, depression and other mood disorders. Attempted suicide and completed suicide are possible outcomes without proper care and effective therapy.[3] Onset of symptoms typically occurs during adolescence or young adulthood, which persist for about a decade; while this period can be trying on the patient, their support system and their therapists, the majority of cases lessen in severity over time.[3]"

It seems to me like A LOT of people could fall into this category. Does anyone here have BPD or could explain it better than this? What is an example of some BPD type behavior?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I don't understand it much myself either so thanks for asking the question and providing the Wikipedia explination. I've read about it many of times, but it does seem as you described...overly broad. The basic thought I've mostly carried with me about BPD is one of the person being a bit manipulative or shady, but I'm also have quite a lot of memory trouble right now so I could be getting mixed up.

I just know that, before, when I read about it....it always seemed easy for me to say to myself "nope, you don't have this illness."

Problem is that I just spent a month in a mental hospital (basically so i could have someone look after me while I underwent ECT treatments 3 times a week for my major depression) and .....after I was released i was looking through my paperwork and the staff had written down that I showed symptoms of borderline personality disorder. This threw me for a loop! I thought for sure they were the ones who were daft!

Anyway, I'm bipolar and since BPD has SOOOO many similarities with bipolar disorder....then who knows if I'll ever actually know if I ALSO have BPD. I'm not worried about any of it right now other than trying to get through this major depressive episode and not having to have any more shock treatments anytime soon (my next one being in 2 days).

Hopefully someone will come along who actually knows something about BPD.

hugs,
Jenna
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about this is there some points in the definition that are unclear or unheard of that might be topics for further discussion ? There are a lot of symtoms listed there that are addressed in most recovery programs and this would be the place to find people that can explain what those symtoms are in plain english
Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for instance "black and white thinking" as I understand it means that one might tend to veiw an event as either really fortunate or devastating rather than some shade in between , usually reacting to events is very extreme as well , being bipolar , you probably get that concept , (tho i don't want to be predjudicial , after all what do i really know about being bipolar!) I know that I was quite puzzeled by this concept early on, it was said to be a common trait amoung addicts resulting in regular life events being catastrophized and bringing on the need to self medicate with drugs...aaaanywhooo! just one addicxts thoughts random as they may be.......
Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thought you might find this definition useful from webmd
Borderline Personality Disorder - Topic Overview
What is borderline personality disorder?
Borderline personality disorder is a mental health condition that causes unstable emotions, impulsiveness, relationship problems, and an unstable self-image. People with the disorder often struggle with other conditions such as depression, eating disorders, or substance abuse problems.

Signs of the disorder usually first appear in childhood, but problems often don't develop until early adulthood. Treatment can be difficult. Setbacks are common, and recovery from troubling emotional and behavioral symptoms can take years. However, treatment may be more effective than was previously thought, and even people with severe symptoms usually improve over time.1

What are the symptoms?
Features of borderline personality disorder include aggressive behavior, difficulty controlling emotions and impulses, problems with unstable and intense relationships, a low sense of self-worth, and frantic anxiety about being left alone (abandoned).2 Unlike similar behaviors that everyone experiences once in a while, the negative or destructive behaviors of borderline personality disorder are intense and occur repeatedly over a long period of time.

Other characteristics of borderline personality disorder may include long-term feelings of emptiness, frequent and sometimes violent temper tantrums, self-injury (such as cutting or burning yourself), and suicidal behavior.

What causes borderline personality disorder?
The cause of borderline personality disorder is not completely understood, but the disorder seems to run in families. Often people who develop this disorder had childhood trauma or early loss of or separation from a parent. It is also common for people who get borderline personality disorder to have certain personality traits such as problems coping with anxiety or stress.

An imbalance of chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters may also play a role in borderline personality disorder.

Who is affected by borderline personality disorder?
Borderline personality disorder affects approximately 2% of the general population. If you have a parent or sibling with borderline personality disorder, you are at increased risk for developing the condition. It is also more common in families where members have other conditions such as antisocial personality disorder, substance abuse, or mood disorders such as depression.3

How is it treated?
Although there is no cure for borderline personality disorder, symptoms can often be successfully managed with professional counseling and medicines such as antidepressants or mood stabilizers. Most people who are treated for borderline personality disorder improve over time. But treatment can be challenging, and recovery can take years. Although relationships with health professionals such as therapists can be difficult, long-term counseling is often an important part of treatment. Other conditions that commonly occur along with borderline personality disorder, such as depression or bulimia nervosa, can make treatment even more complicated.

Borderline Personality Disorder-Topic Overview
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

hi madblack - I dated someone with borderline personality for years.. as far as the "black and white thinking" - the way it was with her - either I was amazing, fantastic, the most wonderful person in the world, OR, I was horrible, didn't care, was mean to her... It was like I was never just me, a caring person who sometimes made mistakes - either I was an angel, or a devil... there is a good book "Stop Walking on Eggshells" that might be helpful...
the following is from bpd411.org

Diagnostic Criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(2) a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

(3) identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image of sense of self

(4) impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(5) recurrent suicidal behaviors, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

(6) affective instability = due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

(7) chronic feelings of emptiness

(8) inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

(9) transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms
Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses guys. I posted just looking for some clarification, but I guess to open up a discussion on BPD also.

My personal opinion is that BPD is a good example of some over-classification that can be found in clinical psychology. Just like ADD, it has symptoms that could be classified either as other mental health disorders or as normal behavior. ADD and BPD could very well be significant mental health issues, it just doesn't make sense to me to have such broad classifications, that could have either have a hundred different normal and abnormal causes.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by steamvessel View Post
I think BPD is confusing because of the personality part of it. It doesn't mean taht you are a bad person, rather scarred and not sure of how to handle yourself in the world.
What an excellent description. Probably the most accurate one I have seen.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
I don't understand it much myself either so thanks for asking the question and providing the Wikipedia explination. I've read about it many of times, but it does seem as you described...overly broad. The basic thought I've mostly carried with me about BPD is one of the person being a bit manipulative or shady, but I'm also have quite a lot of memory trouble right now so I could be getting mixed up.

I just know that, before, when I read about it....it always seemed easy for me to say to myself "nope, you don't have this illness."

Problem is that I just spent a month in a mental hospital (basically so i could have someone look after me while I underwent ECT treatments 3 times a week for my major depression) and .....after I was released i was looking through my paperwork and the staff had written down that I showed symptoms of borderline personality disorder. This threw me for a loop! I thought for sure they were the ones who were daft!

Anyway, I'm bipolar and since BPD has SOOOO many similarities with bipolar disorder....then who knows if I'll ever actually know if I ALSO have BPD. I'm not worried about any of it right now other than trying to get through this major depressive episode and not having to have any more shock treatments anytime soon (my next one being in 2 days).

Hopefully someone will come along who actually knows something about BPD.

hugs,
Jenna
((((((Hugs Jenna))))))