Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Post Acute Withdrawal Symptom... anyone else got it?

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Anyone else got PAWS from too much drinking or drug abuse? I have it, it's where while you're withdrawing from your addiction you get poor physical coordination, mental instability, and it can last for a little while or more... just curious if anyone else had or has it... plus I don't feel as comfortable as I used to posting in the ALCOHOLISM forums so I'm posting here =) 8
Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm having a hard time concentrating and am very agitated and nervous and restless a lot. I'm more uncoordinated too, I stumble or run into things and have a hard time with fine motor coordination - my fingers don't want to work right. My memory seems to be on vacation too, I forget things so much I sometimes think I have Alzheimers!:wtf2
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cry a lot! I am shaky feel very vulnerable... hate talking to anyone as its too much effort! I hurt in every fiber of my being! I can't stand people touching me... nausia
this list goes on and on
Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Welcome to the MH forum Paulos!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PADRE

Its Me Agian, I Had It Real Bad And It Scared The Crap Outa Me. Eventually I Got Better, Thats When I Decided To Join The Fight For Recovery. And,,,it Is Like Altzhiemer's Disease, But It Goes Away In Time. Thiamine And Folic Acid For Six Mos. Helped Me Alot.

Padre'
Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by PADRENLB View Post
Its Me Agian, I Had It Real Bad And It Scared The Crap Outa Me. Eventually I Got Better, Thats When I Decided To Join The Fight For Recovery. And,,,it Is Like Altzhiemer's Disease, But It Goes Away In Time. Thiamine And Folic Acid For Six Mos. Helped Me Alot.

Padre'
Padre' is right. One of the things that long term drinking causes is a decrease in the thiamine levels in the body. Many times alcoholics are prescribed B vitamins because of this. Either way as long as one is not taking more than the recommended dose of the vitamins they are a good supplement. Folic acid helps with brain activity so giving your body a supplement per the bottles dosing recommendations should not be a problem. You might consider as with any medication, although these are over the counter vitamins, letting your doctor know you are taking them as all medications have the potential to interact with other medications.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'm having a hard time concentrating and am very agitated and nervous and restless a lot. I'm more uncoordinated too, I stumble or run into things and have a hard time with fine motor coordination - my fingers don't want to work right. My memory seems to be on vacation too, I forget things so much I sometimes think I have Alzheimers!:wtf2
Thank you all for your concern I really appreciate it more than you know, it is really nice to know that I'm not alone in being the person who thinks I may have alzheimers etc... but I got a pm from Padre and it was kinda scary like saying I have confabulation of the brain and I could have a bad mental disease... gulp...
Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Paulos -

I was the POSTER WOMAN for PAWS ... I learned t laugh at it. I knew it was going to subside, so what the heck.
It was better than the stupid things I did ... drunk.

LIke -
and If rattled - I will do this to this day -
get a cup of coffee at work - open sugar free thingy -
tear open baggie -
pour contents into trash -
throw paper into coffee.

I can't count the times I've done that.

It's funny actually.

One morning - I did that -
right in front of about ten guests here at the hotel.
I turned and saw them all amost ...
looking at me.
I said -
"Hello, my name is *barb* and I'll be your pilot this morning"
the entire group busted outlaughing ...
and one guy says
'Man I HOPE not!'

Learn to laugh at yourself.

PAWS ... goes away.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Wow thanks barb...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, definitely you have to laugh. I've got it, I guess. I keep stumbling, fell on a [I]carpet[I] yesterday. That's a carpet, not a rock or something. How does that happen??? We'll get better in time. Meanwhile, I guess we shouldn't take up stock car driving or attend sniper school, huh?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
We'll get better in time. Meanwhile, I guess we shouldn't take up stock car driving or attend sniper school, huh?
Too funny, thank you for the light hearted approach to the topic. I needed the laugh.