Notices

Please help!! My brother

Old 04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help!! My brother

Hi,

I'm new to these forums. I have come here for desperate help. I am extremely worried for my brother. And so is my family.

My brother has been acting weird since a month or two atleast. He sits in his room all day and doesn't do much. Most of the time I either see him playing video games or sleeping at some crazy hour. Or he just sits on his bed doing virtually nothing.... Staring. He does not talk to any of his friends anymore, and he never uses his cell phone. He rarely drives the car too. He sits there pretty blank, does not say much, and most of the time he will take some time to answer you. And some times... you really have to make your presence known and repeat yourself several times at times before he gives a very simple answer. He is very quiet aswell. He does not speak loud. Over the course of 3 days out of town I was only able to make him giggle a handful of times, which is something at least I suppose.

He will not speak to me or my family about what happened. I tried my best to support him. I talked to him an hour about how I'm here for him and he does not need to hide things. I tried to convince him to talk to me but all I got was that 'he does not know what he smoked'. I don't know what happened... and whether he really smoked something he didn't know or was drugged by someone. I can't get him to talk. He rarely eats either. His diet is that of of a small animal. We offer him food all the time but he just ends up not eating it. Oh and he seems to still be smoking cigarettes. We tried to help him stop.. but it never worked. We would like to see him recover.. and stop smoking.

I'm really really scared for my brother. I feel like he is half vegetable at times. I don't know what to do. Please help if you can. My parents don't want to take him to the doctors because they are afraid they might take him away or something.

Thank you,

k4
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How old is your brother? Does he have a history of drug or alcohol use? Have you considered talking to any of his close friends?

Originally Posted by k4ppa View Post
My parents don't want to take him to the doctors because they are afraid they might take him away or something.
If they don't take him to a doctor he could very well end up worse. A lot worse.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exclamation Regarding Brother...

We are not doctors here and I have not had much experience with people that use drugs but my brother.

I live across state from him and had not heard from him for three years...did not know if he was alive or not. All his friends used drugs/ alcohol/ or both as he did.

He was rescued by his best friend and taken to his home closer to where I live and has been detoxing for a month now from methametaphine & alcohol.
He still just sits and looks ahead or sleeps day and night.

He is now able to eat & is gaining weight back.

Your brother sounds like he needs to see a doc as soon as possible if he is as bad as you are saying. If he was taken away it would be to find help for him. No one should doubt your concern....more people than you will ever know do go to ER's or an ambulance is called for them when they are in difficulty with drugs or alcohol...or possibly a mental breakdown of some kind.

As most people should know...family does not make a person drink or use drugs but they have much concern for their family member.

You will never know what is going on unless he gets checked out by a doc.

My brother hasn't seen a doc yet either but will do so soon. He is still very shakey and nervous but that is from the detoxing.

kelsh
Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My brother is 22. All I know is that he has smoked pot and he drinks. I don't think he is an alcoholic.. rather he drinks socially. I'm not sure of what other drugs he has tried. I think he might have tried some other drugs though. I don't believe he has an addiction. Well thats based on the little I know though. I will try to speak to his close friend. I will also speak to my family regarding seeing a doctor.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

k4ppa -

absolutely get this kid medical attention.

that's my advice.

I'd rather have a living brother in jail
(worst case scenario)

than a dead brother on the mantlepiece.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I'm hearing that:
1. You're worried something is seriously wrong with your brother.
2. That he'll be "taken away" if he seeks medical attention.

If what you mean by, "taken away" is that he'll be placed in an institution for necessary medical treatment, what's wrong with that?

Residential behavioral health care facilities are nothing like they were or what you see in the movies. People are not treated as caged animals wandering around in day rooms mumbling to themselves while an old black and white TV shows bugs bunny cartoons 24 hours a day.

If it were my brother, I wouldn't hesitate with seeking a doctor.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hey 4kappa -

got an update?