Notices

My Brain & Ectascy

Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Brain & Ectascy

Ok, I was too sure where I should post this at but Mental Health looked like it would fit.

I'm not exactly sure how to explain myself and thats one of the main points. I am and have been trying to stop doing drugs for a while now. Reading these forums help me out a lot but my problem is that from all the E that I have taken I really don't even remember reading the posts 2 minutes later. I have trouble just taking in the information because of "E". I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has these issues. I am always depressed and can't really I guess I could say "Learn" like I used to. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post it but I'm really having trouble and I am wondering if this will ever get better.

Thanks a lot
D
Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, dman,
And welcome to SR and the MH forums!

I don't find it unusual that you're depressed or that you are having trouble remembering. You've been ingesting chemicals that have been messing up your brain's natural chemicals. It's likely that when you get past the withdrawal, and *if* you stay off the drugs, your memory will return to it's normal state.

And the depression will likely lift too, unless you were depressed to begin with. Many times, people turn to drugs to self medicate. In other words, they have a mental health issue, and may not realize it, and turn to drugs to alliviate the symptoms they are experiencing. So, if you've been clean for some time, and are still experiencing depression, you may want to see your doctor.

In fact, it might be a good idea to see a doctor anyway. Tell him/her what's up; what you've been doing and get a clean bill of health. A counselor could be a good source of support while you are working though all of these issues. And NA certainly would be very helpful as you work to live a clean life.

I wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to stop by on the substance abuse boards too. There's lots of good people here that can help you on your journey. Stick with the people who have what you want -- sobriety, a clean life. They have the knowledge to show you the path.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Shalom!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Welcome to SR and the MH forum!
(((dman))))

I personally don't know anything about E, but I totally agree 100 percent with everything Teach said.

I've been going through my own major depressive episode for many months now and when seriously depressed I always have trouble learning, comprehending and remembering things really badly. I've also had nearly 20 ECT treatments recently and they severly affect my being able to remember things.....but the depression itself is what messes with me being able to comprehend and learn things i've just read. It also affects conversations I have with people....as i totally forget entire conversations i had with people just minutes before.

Anyway, I would highly recommend going to see a psychologist and get a full mental-health evaluation done to try and figure out what underlying mental health issues you may have. Just as an example....some 80 percent of bipolars have addiction issues...so you can see how addiction and mental illness tend to go hand-in-hand.

Again, welcome to SR and I too look forward to getting to know you and wish you all the best in your continued journey toward health.

Hugs,
Jenna
Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well thanks for all the help. Maybe a trip the the psychologist is a good idea. I went to one before about my brother who passed away when we were younger but It really just seemed like some big bunch of bull. Maybe now that I'm older I can get something out of it.

Thanks for being so welcoming. I've been clean from E for around 3 weeks now but no improvement yet. I'll keep everyone updated to see how it goes.

<3
Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i have probaly got pill count off around almost 300 i did 3 for about 4 years on and off every weekend i have been off for about 10 months and i feel depressed here and there probaly because i drink to much for memory first couple of months was **** but it does improve over months i still can't remember much but it has gotten better i take salmon oil to help remember stuff might want to look into that there a bunch of stuff you can take for remembering thought, thought i havn't seen any serious long term effects from doing ecstasy i do get the e flash here and there but for all i know didn't seem like it caused much damage
Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The problem with Excstacy/MDMA is that it dumps (primarily) serotonin into the brain all at once, which can cause short and (arguably) long term effects on the brain and body. Because there is a refractory period for the amount of serotonin that is available to the brain/body, there can a 'hangover' effect, which can often mimic various depressive symptoms....and also include cognitive issues.

The research is mixed about long term effects, some say that there are changes in brain structure of regular users, which can effect cognitive performance, while other research says that it isn't true and/or that if there are differences.....they disappear after awhile.

A physician and/or psychologist can administer various procedures/assessments to look into it further. Of course, many things can effect cognitive performance (sleep, meds, stress, nutrition, etc)....so it could also be completely unrelated.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=BCBoy87;1737321]i have probaly got pill count off around almost 300 i did 3 for about 4 years on and off every weekend/QUOTE]

See I'm a little bit worse I've prolly taken 3 at once and kept on taking them about 10-15 a night for about 3 years. So I think my brain might be unrecoverable. It sure does feel like it. Stupid choices...