Notices

Wellibutrin

Old 04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wellibutrin

I'm new to sobriety. I have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder in the past. My Doctor prescribed Wellibutrin for me almost two weeks ago. He said it was to help "stabilize my mood", and help quit smoking.

Not asking for medical advice, but would like to know if this drug is used as a treatment for Alcholism, and if its helped some Alcholics here.
Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found the big thread on this subject, Mods feel free to delete this one. Sorry.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, 1is2Many;

Wellbutrin is not a mood stabilizer. It's an antidepressant. Using an antidepressant alone, with bipolar disorder, *can* bring on a manic state. I hope you are on another mood stabilizer too!

It is used often to help quit smoking. But, it can cause aggitation. It caused panic attacks with me. I tolerated them because it did help me quit smoking.

I've never heard of it being used to treat alcoholism. Perhaps others have?

Good luck with your quit. We have a nicotine forum here on SR too! I hope you'll join us there.

Oh, and I replied to this thread, rather than the other one, because 1) there was a context on this one with the bipolar and the alcoholism and 2) the other one was well over a year old!
Hope you don't mind!

Shalom!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

are you on a med called lemectail as well??? I have never heard of wellbuitrin taken alone

good luck
Pamm
Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm..
I am not bi polar and my recovery from alcoholism is long term.
I used no med's for my alcohlism.

However...when I wanted to quit smoking
my doctor perscribed Wellbutrin

The only thing I noticed from Wellbutrin was vivid dreaming.
After a month...I quit taking it.

Then I discovered you were suspose to wean...

Anyway...for me it was not effective.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome, You may want to look into Lamictal and Seroquel for mood stabilizers. Welbutrin alone is not a med for bipolar it is just an antidepressant. I would check with your Dr. ASAP
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was going to start a thread but then I went back and found this one. A couple weeks ago I had a major anxiety attack, headaches, not being able to sleep, agitated, and
loss of balance during an extremely stressful situation that had to be completed involving my bankruptcy. Last week I finally got to my Pdoc. for a checkup and found my blood pressure had risen from 120/80 to 180/120 he was extremely concerned about the possibility of a stroke. We found the cause as being a generic of 300 mg Wellbutrin XL,
that I take with a generic of lamictal as a mood stabilizer.

I understood the side effects associated with taking it, but I never considered it could affect my blood pressure to the extent that it did. Since I have been off of it my blood pressure has already started to come down.

What I wanted bring attention to is never underestimate the seriousness of a headache when taking this form of medication, the headaches I ignored were caused by my increased blood pressure, and could have killed me if I hadn't gone in for a checkup.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How long does it take for this thing to go into efefct. I've been on Lexapro and wellbutrin in the past, and I felt great on that combo. I've been on 20mg of Lexapro, and im up and down all the time, probably because i keep on relapsing.

So now im clean for 5 days still taking the lexapro 20mg and i just started Wellbutrin two days ago.

When will i start feeling better?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleansing View Post
How long does it take for this thing to go into efefct. I've been on Lexapro and wellbutrin in the past, and I felt great on that combo. I've been on 20mg of Lexapro, and im up and down all the time, probably because i keep on relapsing.

So now im clean for 5 days still taking the lexapro 20mg and i just started Wellbutrin two days ago.

When will i start feeling better?
uh maybe when you stop using all these drugs you have mentioned in your other posts, idk just a thought