Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

i've made such a mess. i don't know where to go now...?

Notices

i've made such a mess. i don't know where to go now...?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down i've made such a mess. i don't know where to go now...?

ok, so i haven't been here for a while. a couple of years, i first came to the website while in recovery from cocaine. now here i am,

about a year ago i started having chronic pain, i've had surgerys and tests and no one seems to know whats going on, now all the time i smoke weed to deal with the pain. i've been out of work and bed ridden every day since november. seen doctor after doctor, and now the only thing my doctor has to say is that i'm over reacting and that i'm just a depressed hypocondriac.

i'm not new to this whole depression deal, when i was 15 (i'm 20 now) i was admitted to a psyche ward twice. and now i have this doctor talking to me as if i've never heard of it before.

so she started perscribing me all these ****** up pills, all of them just left me in a fog. the last appointment i had was on wednesday and i basically lost it. i told her that the problem wasn't in my head, i told her straight up i didn't want any more anti depressants, that i wanted her to deal with my chronic pain but she won't. she keeps telling me its all in my head and its not.

so here i am, in bed day in day out, in too much pain to drive or work or do anything. i'm not going to say i'm happy, i am depressed but only because i can't function anymore.

basically on wednesday i told my doctor to **** off, i got pissed off and angry, its all so frustrating. i canceled the rest of my "check ups" with her.

so, to get to the point of all of this, what am i supposed to do? i can't keep smoking weed like this, and if i quit, how can i deal with the pain? how am i supposed to function?

i'm sorry for such a long rant, i don't even know if this post belongs here but i'm at such a loss. how am i supposed to get better?

thanks for listening, i'm sorry if its in the wrong place...

Robyn
Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to the Mental Health forum.

Wow, sounds like you have a lot going on right now. No wonder you are feeling a little overwhelmed. The only thing I can share with you is my experience. I fight with chronic pain from a back injury that occured in an automobile accident. I have made the choice to deal with it as much as possible without drugs. Therefor I utilize a TENS unit (electrical stimulation of the nerves that disrupts the pain message and increases circulation to the area), use Ibuprofen to keep the swelling and irritation down, and use oxycodone only when absolutely necessary (A 30 day supply lasts me over 2 months on average). There are many methods of dealing with chronic pain other than drug use, there is accupuncture, chiropractors, TENS units, physical therapy, yoga, meditation. I have never been a pot smoker as drugs were really not my thing I am a recovering alcoholic.

I also fight with depression. My experience is that the antidepressants have been a lifesaver for me. I have never been a pot smoker as alcohol was my addiction.

My experience comes in the form of my oldest daughter. She did pot for several years. Ultimately when she finally quit she found her depression and anxiety went away. She had even tried anti depressants while using pot to help with her depression and anxiety. But they always seemed to make her feel worse. Going by her experience I wonder if the pot has something to do with your depression. I do realize that chronic pain can create depression, it probably contributes to mine. I also do not discount how you are feeling in any way as I am sure it is miserable right now. I would suggest talking with a doctor even if you have to find a new one. See if they will send you to a pain management clinic to find an alternative to the pot for your pain. You may find that your world gets better if you do as it is possible it will not only help with your back pain but with your mental health issues right now.

Take care and keep us posted. You are not alone.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Angeldancer,
And welcome to the forum!

Nandm said it best. Pot won't help your pain, and can contribute to depression. Furthermore, chronic pain will contribute to depression.

If you feel that your doctor isn't listening to you, please go get a second opinion. There are pain management clinics out there. Perhaps that's an option for you. But, living your life stoned isn't an answer for a 20 year old. Read the substance abuse boards and you'll see that for yourself.

I wish you well, and hope you'll find answers. Please keep us informed as to how it's going. We care.

Shalom!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. My son has done his own research and proven to me that pot isn't the "harmless" recreation we're often told it is. Apparently his daily use contributed heavily to the early onset of his psychosis, at age 20. You're wise to be looking for another solution.

What kind of pain are you having? Maybe someone here has dealt with something similair.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

CAn you find another doctor? If you are having chronic pain perhaps another doctor would be more understanding and believe you, without dismissing it as "all in your head". I would try to find another doctor and go from there. Best of luck to you.:ghug