What is recovery?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is recovery?

How many times has this been asked around these forums alone....?

Does it start when a person stops obsessive, compulsive, out of control behavior?

(fill in the blank here, I'll use drugs as the example word, 'cause it's my thing)

Does it start when we quit using the drugs? Or does it start when we just think about stopping?

Does it start if when we drag out the quitting by "tapering" or "weening"?

If we're still polluting our minds with the substance, how does the mind accept, and begin to use the ideas and solutions that recovery has?

If a mind is still closed enough to think that "less drugs" or different drugs are ok, how can it be open enough for anything else?

If we just stop the substance, but continue to act out and live just like we did while we used, is that recovery?

Granted some folks can just quit and move on, so no recovery is needed....

What is recovery?

It's the "aftercare" of yourself, after you've stopped whatever abuse you lived, is it not?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry, I got cut off there by a phone call and my train of thought has been derailed. Feel free to chime in....
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a person is probably in recovery as soon as s/he stops the addictive behavior with the intention of never going back to it. I don't think that an addict can stop their substance and continue to live just like before because the substances we choose effect us so much that we are bound to be very different without them (for better or for worse).

What about being recovered? I want to get to a point where I don't desire to drink or use, don't even think about it and am not scared of it happening. I know people have done it. I would call this state "recovered" and the clean and sober time before it "in recovery".
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know alot of folks for whom it's not about the drugs and/or alcohol anymore, but they didn't get there for "free". (without any work).

Which is another interesting point-work. Some people claim recovery is too much work, too much time. Now really, how many of us didn't spend alot of time, and even more effort in getting and using drugs? Using everyday, takes alot of work, or I should say getting the stuff does, but you don't ever hear anybody say they quit because it was too much work.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My thoughts

I equate recovery from alcohol/drugs/sex/gambling (what ever the addiction) to recovery from cancer. Here is why

When one finds out they have cancer they have choices.
  • then can do nothing about it and eventually it will kill them
  • They can go through the work and pain of treating it
  • With treatment they can find it goes into remission
  • With treatment they can find they are cured of it
  • With treatment they can still find that they die from it
Now compare that to addiction/alcoholism
  • The person can do nothing about it and eventually it will kill them
  • They can go through the work and pain of working at sobriety
  • With treatment they may find it goes into a remission (still there but dormant unless they pick up again)
  • With treatment they may find they are cured (some people see recovery as this since while working a program of recovery the disease is not present in the real sense
  • With treatment they can still find they die from it (this occurs when the addict/alcoholic continue to relapse over and over until ultimately there body can't take anymore)

So to me recovery can mean many things but the ultimate goal of recovery is to have the problem removed or at least put into remission as the other options lead to death and heartache.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

For me, recovery is many things. I view it just as I view MY disease: progressive. Without continuous effort "to recover," I'll always start the downhill run. For me, there is no lay-over point, no coasting, and no idle - either I'm working toward recovery or I'm working toward a relapse. Just as it is said in many different fellowships, "first things first." The first thing I had to do was put down the substance (stop using and get abstinent), because as long as I use, I cannot begin the process of recovery. If I stop there, its like getting on the starting blocks but not running the race. There is always more to be done and more growth to experience. For me, recovery is about changing my ideas, attitudes and behaviors...and these things do not happen overnight. Some are so deeply ingrained that they'll take a lifetime to address, no matter how long I've been clean. Since MY disease involved more than the use of drugs, MY recovery must involve more than abstinence. Although my life has improved immensely, and I do not desire to use a drug, I will never be fully recovered. For me, recovery is a process...like peeling an onion.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

For me, I absolutely have to believe that my recovery started the moment I had my last drink and started consistently using all of the tools I need to achieve permanent sobriety (abstinent, no mental obsession).

The whole idea that relapse is a part of recovery is a killer for me. A counselor once likened recovery as an upward spiral where the alcoholic gets stronger with each successive relapse as long as the alcoholic keeps working hard and learning from experience. This gave me permission to drink - which I did.

If I relapse, it's not a part of my recovery process - it's because I wasn't in true recovery to begin with.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It's the "aftercare" of yourself, after you've stopped whatever abuse you lived, is it not?
Originally Posted by GarryW View Post
MY recovery must involve more than abstinence.
Originally Posted by gravity View Post
If I relapse, it's not a part of my recovery process - it's because I wasn't in true recovery to begin with.
Recovery started for me when I stop fighting my addiction.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sometimes it seems like recovery is a long slow journey into a brand new experience that can be scary at times but is ultimately worth the work and suffering on the way.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

after today's disasters... it seems like recovery is something very far away from me/my life...