Notices

Questions on meds

Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

Questions on meds

My son has been out of the hospital for over a month and I do see a little improvement. He is taking his meds but I dont think the pschotic part is getting better. Not sure what defines psychotic behavior but he has these weird conversations with me about how he cant get on "my level", his voice is too low and he has a hard time talking under and over people. Girls talk different and men talk the right way and so on and so on. I dont know how to respond to this conversation. Is this considered dellisiounal (sp). He is on Risperdole for anti-pyschotic but I am wondering if it is really working. I was considering trying amblify. Does anyone have any experience with ambilfy? He also takes 1500mg of Depakote which I think helps with his mood but I need to be able to administer all of his meds in the morning. It is a struggle at nite to get the meds in him. He complains about them making him tired but I was told on another site that these meds dont cause you to be sleepy. We will see a new pdoc in the next couple weeks and I will talk to them about all of this. He also saw a new counselor Wednesday and I got to sit in the first time and he seems wonderful and patient. He will see him again this Wednesday. I hope things start to improve. I really need to get back to work but am so afraid not to be here for him.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Well, it doesn't sound rational to me. I would call the doctor and report it.
I know nothing about the meds, and wouldn't try to advise you on something this important. This is something not to be trusted to complete strangers on the internet, but, only to his doctor.

I wish you both the best. I know how difficult this whole situation is for you.

Shalom!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

I agree with my comrade, HistoryTeach. Speak to an MD and if the original MD is unable or unwilling to hear you, get a second opinion. This is not medical advice, and I am certain you will receive some of it anyway, but that is another story--just ignore it.

Remember that one month out of the hospital is a very delicate time for anyone. I have been through this and needed to be rehospitalized just to be safely taken off the medication I was placed on--some of which required a tapering off period.

Your son needs all of the help he can get right now. I offer nothing to you about the medication, although I have been on Respiridol and Depakote. All I can encourage you to do is to try to move that MD appointment up a bit, if you can. At least, it sounds as if your son has a good counselor and one that you also can relate to. Nevertheless, I need to reiterate that the MD appointment needs to be a priority.

God bless you and your son, and I wish both of you the best.