Notices

My son is refusing his meds......

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

My son is refusing his meds......

My son gives me such a hard time at night to take his meds that I am going crazy. He thinks he doesn't need them, has nothing wrong with him bla bla bla. I give him his Adderall for his ADHD in the morning and he cant live without that so I am thinking if I could give him his meds in the morning, I could hold off on the Adderall until he took the other stuff. Sad to have to do that but he is a handful. We see his pdoc on Friday and will discuss all of this with him but wanted to know if any one of you guys know, do all mood stabilizers make you tired because if they do then I am going to have a hard time keeping him on them. Plus, sometimes he doesnt come home until late at nite and I am waiting up dying to go to sleep to give him his meds and it is just getting so overwhelming to me that I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown. I am stressing over all of this happening to begin with and then to try to talk to him is like talking to a wall and it drives me crazy. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I am just sick and tired of trying.....
Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

How old is he?
What's his condition?
And why is he out so late at night, that you have to wait up for him to give him his meds?

Sounds to me like boundaries need to be set -- and soon!
Meds are not the only problem here.

Shalom!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Sandi)))

Okay, so I seem to be in EVERY forum here.

I've told you about my friend at work, who is going through the same thing with her son. I was asking about her last night and she asked about you and Scooter.

He is still in the hospital...has been there for 4 months. She says she has been through what you are going through so many times, that she simply can't do it this time. She visited him the other day and he was begging to come home, but she says every time he comes home, he eventually stops taking his meds and she says she just can't put herself or her family through this right now. I don't know the financial situation, but apparently he is reciving disability or something because she is not worried about the hospital bill and she would be if she were paying for it.

Sweetie, this sounds like it's turned into something you can't fix...no matter how much you love him, how hard you try. My friend's son is in his 30's and she has been going through this since he was in his teens.

I don't know what the solution is, and am hoping the good people on this forum can help, as they have more ES&H on mental illness.

I know you don't want to give up on him, but I feel like you're losing YOU with all this, and I'm worried about you.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

no...not all mood stabalizers make you tired or else i'd be in serious trouble (since my depressions make me so tired enough already). Lamictal worked well for me. I was on Abilify for a while. Now i'm on Topamax and suppose to be taking 25mg in the a.m. and 25mg in the p.m., but i've only been able to keep up with once a day and am struggling with my moods quite a bit right now (i too have pdoc apt soon)

If tiredness is an issue for him, i'd suggest staying away from Seraquel and Lexapro as both turned me into a walking zombie.

best wishes,
jenna
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Content with my past

My son ended up taking his meds but it is a struggle. He says they make him feel weird. We see his dr tomorrow morning and we will see what the dr says. My son is 18 1/2 and he is more like 12. I am trying to set boundaries but its something that is easier said then done. I have come a long way with him and I am making progress but it is not perfect. I have already told him that he will have to move with his grandparents if he doesnt respect my rules. So the drama continues..............