Notices

I think my son has bp I

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

I think my son has bp I

As you all are aware my son went thru a pretty bad mania stage and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. He will be out tomorrow for 2 weeks. So things are improving. Had a little bit of a stressful weekend but it will get better. The doctors have not stated what he has because they have to evaulate him for months before they can determine that. I am thinking BP1 because of the severe mania he went thru with psychotic behavior and I dont recall much depression in his life. I know when he broke up with a couple girls that he had serious relationships with, he was down in the dumps but who wouldnt be. My question to all of you is...... If he takes his mood stabilizers will he avoid mania. I guess if the meds stop working and they have to be switch in time then could that cause full blown mania. Also, what is a "average" amount of manias a person can actually go thru. I just want to know what to expect and what to look for to catch it before it ever gets to the point it was at. I have never in my life been so scared for what he went thru.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Newsandi)))

I just went through a similar situation. My RAD was diagnosed with BP1 and she just had a full blown mania episode. Her phyciatrist changed her from seroquil to lithium and a couple days after she started taking the lithium she was in a really bad state. I didn't know what was happening. I've never seen that before. She was manic but she also seemed like she was drunk and she wasn't. She had trouble walking and talking. She was argumentive. She was suicidal. It was horrible. She got over that but she looks completely worn out, like she had a breakdown. She has been kind of depressed and she is just not right. I think the med change threw her into a tailspin.

She is contemplating about what to do with her meds. She is thinking about going back to the seroquil and not taking the lithium. I keep telling her to call the physc. but she hasn't. My hands are tied, they won't talk to me.

I wish I could help you, but I can only commiserate with you. I am not very knowledgable about this stuff. I'm sure others will be along to help both of us.

Hugs..............Lo
Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lobo;

Please know that, while the pdoc cannot talk to *you* without a release signed by your daughter, *you* CAN talk to the pdoc and explain what is happening!
And, under the circumstances, you probably should.
I think I would....

Best wishes to you both.

Shalom!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very good advice History!!!!!

I am cross addicted with cross mental health issues

I am manic depressive with BP1 and also Borderline multiple personality disorder now these things I am telling you DO NOT TAKE AS FAITH OR GOSPEL FROM ME!!!!!!

1) when I have the manic epasodes they can last from seconds to weeks the longest we know of was last year when I went off all of my meds for over 600 days I was manic finally got help when my mother realized I had started cutting on myself again.

2) MEDS DO WORK.......finding the right one is what the problem is! If he had adhd or any other problem the meds will counter react with each other ect ect it is PURE hell!!!!
but very necessary!!!!!

3)stress isnt good but it isn't bad eaither the next two weeks will help him figure that out all you need to remember is patience and also tolerance.......I am sure you do my mother has been a god send threw out all of my swings she has stood by me threw them all when I go from the clingy child like momma I just wanna crawl in your lap and cry to the awful words no parent should ever hear the I hate you and it is all your faults ect....

4) TALK find other parents in your area and listen and talk sort of what you do right here my parents go to a meeting every Thursday night to try to get more insight about what is going on with me!

5) we need love and attention just NOT TO MUCH then we start to think there is something really wrong with us

now this should of been first I am putting last.........
DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES SET ON BP1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAIT FOR THE DOCTORS TO GIVE YOU THE DIGNOSIS NOT GIVE IT TO THEM! you can tell them what you think but wait for them, I was so happy to hear that they are not rushing for a "cure" too many do and over look or cant see something else..........

Also keep a log of your thoughts, it will help both of you out.....

Faith, Hugs and Prayers,
Pamm and Da Gurlz
Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Content with my past

Still waiting for the orginal questions. If anyone has bp1 and has had a major manic episode, what are the statics on having more and over what type if time period. This is based on someone who I will continue to enforce his meds.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Sweetie it all depends on the individual.
IF your son is bipolar then he can also be a rapid cycler. If he is a rapid cycler then it can be just as WLDKATZ said ....he could have a whole ton of quick passing manic episodes or he can also have a great deal of not-so-quick passing manic episodes.

If he's bipolar, but NOT a rapid cycler then if memory serves me correctly then 1-2 major episodes a year is typical, but ask the doctor and/or read that book i suggested, which explains all of this well.

WLDKATZ has a good point that shouldn't be dismissed....in my personal opinion, that is. I say this because of the psychotic features your son has experienced. Psychosis brings on a different set of possible diagnosises, seperate from bipolar disorder OR in addition to it.

Learning more info won't hurt, but not learning enough can. So if the psychiatrist suggest any other possible diagnsises then my suggestion would be to research them ...in addition to learning about the bipolar stuff.

------ Now......i'm not sure what you mean by "this is someone who i will continue to enforce his meds?" But if you mean "make" him take his meds.....be prepared for that not to work necessarily as one might hope.

BUT.....if he is bpI....and if the docs find the right combination of meds that will keep his moods stable then it is possible for him to live quite normally for a great length of time until the meds stop working and need to be changed or upped (possibly). The other thing to know is that, on average, it takes about 2 years for a bipolar to find the right combination of meds for them.....since we are all so different. However, if your son IS bipolar then i would HIGHLY recommend reading that thread that HistoryTeach posted not too long ago with a link to several bipolar articles in the New York Times.

In that thread and articles it tells of a test that can be given which can help 'speed' along the trial-and-error process of the med merry-go-round for us bipolars. I'd never heard of that test until reading that last week!!

good luck and best wishes,
Jenna