Notices

Update

Old 02-17-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update

Just wanted to give an update on my son. He had an episode Dec. 22, diagnosed as sudden onset schizophrenia (he's 20). He's been treated since that time for bi-polar. That part I don't understand. He was discharged in another state with instructions to find someone at home to continue his meds.

I defy anyone to get on a reputable psychiatrist's book in this area in less than 30 days without some intervention. Long story short, we've been operating in more or less a crisis mode ever since.

Last week, 6 weeks to the day after leaving the hospital I finally got him in to see a "good" counselor as a part of the intake process to get on a "good" psychiatrists books.

He was admitted into the psychiatric hospital directly from that appt. I'm hopeful now that we are "in the system" and he will be receiving the approprite medications and level of care. And I'm thankful that we have all lived to get this far, there were days when I wasn't sure we would.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad he is being given the care he needs and the medications. He sounds so much similar to my situation at that age. I was in college when I was diagnosed schizoaffective (preexisting bipolar II). I had gone home to live with my mother for a while and medically withdrew from school.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

The system is underfunded and woefully inadequate.

I'm glad you finally got the help he needs and deserves.

Shalom!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Easeful, that is wondeful news! So happy for you, your son and your family.....grateful
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

hang in there! Early 20s is when most people start showing their first major signs of mental illness. I wish this was common knowledge -- at least among doctors (i.e. general physicians, who are the first to see us usually and who do us NO good usually b/c they haven't a clue).

What you guys are going through right now....was just a matter of time. The GOOD news is that he IS getting properly diagnosed and going in the right direction!!! So many don't and so many continue suffering beyond reason for years without even knowing why.

This unfortunately had to happen so that his future can be a much brighter one.... if he chooses to take resposibility for his mental health care and stay on his meds (which you should be prepared to most likely see him struggle with....especially in the first year or two).

Just hold onto how much of a good thing all of this can mean for his future. The more he learns about his illness now, in the beginning, the better off he will be from that point on.

Mental illness is definetly something every diagnosed person should to educate themselves about if they really want any control over their own well-being at all.

Just my 2 cents,
Congrats on getting in the system!
Congrats on getting a proper diagnosis at age 20!

Best wishes,
Jenna
Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Easeful - thank you for the update - part of why I came on todaywas to see if there was news about your son.

You're both in my prayers.

It's all I can do.

barb
Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

>This unfortunately had to happen so that his future can be a much brighter one.... if he chooses to take resposibility for his mental health care and stay on his meds (which you should be prepared to most likely see him struggle with....especially in the first year or two).
<

Thanks Shutterbug, I'm trying to hold onto the positive. It's tough though since just a few short weeks ago I thought my son's future could entail anything he chose. Lots have doors have closed since then. But we're trying to focus ont he ones still open.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

>You're both in my prayers.

It's all I can do.<

Thank you, one of the things I'm holding onto is......when the disiples were unable to cast out a demon they went to Jesus who told them, "this kind comes out only with great prayer." Many days it feels like it's all I can do as well.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Easeful....PLEASE KNOW YOUR SON'S FUTURE CAN STILL INCLUDE ANYTHING HE CHOSES.

This DOESN'T close doors!!!! It only changes the way he has to walk through them!

Please know this. I promise you that all things are still possible. It took me 6 1/2 years to get my college degree, but i still got it because i was determined! And i did that will working 2 jobs to support myself also.

The mentally ill are a very special group in history who have accomplished GREAT things!!!!! The following were bipolar: Abraham Lincoln, Charles Dickins, Patty Duke, Vincent Van Gogh, Nepolean, that guy who wrote Moby Dick...whose name i can't think of at the moment for some reason but he was a severe alcoholic too, Robert Schuman (sp?), and a whole lot of other composers, writers, leaders, artists, musicians, sculpters, etc.

Your son is still capable of GREAT things....and possibly even more so BECAUSE of the mental illness actually. An odd concept, i know, but a VERY true one! I myself have photographed, shaken hands with, had my own picture taken with, had lunch with, more local, national and world celebrities in the last year than i can even count! I even have have dreams of a Pulitzer, whether it be for a photograph i'm lucky enough to capture or for a book or something i write some day.

Anyway.....again, the book "A Brilliant Maddness" by Patty Duke is less than $10 and i promise you that it would help you to understand all this and to also see some positives in it all.

Hugs and God bless,
Jenna
Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

>The mentally ill are a very special group in history who have accomplished GREAT things!!!!! The following were bipolar: Abraham Lincoln, Charles Dickins, Patty Duke, Vincent Van Gogh, Nepolean, that guy who wrote Moby Dick...whose name i can't think of at the moment for some reason but he was a severe alcoholic too, Robert Schuman (sp?), and a whole lot of other composers, writers, leaders, artists, musicians, sculpters, etc.<

Thanks for the encouragement, Shutter. I've often thought that the most brilliant among us are those whose minds blur the edge between the ego and the collective unconscious.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easeful View Post
>The mentally ill are a very special group in history who have accomplished GREAT things!!!!! The following were bipolar: Abraham Lincoln, Charles Dickins, Patty Duke, Vincent Van Gogh, Nepolean, that guy who wrote Moby Dick...whose name i can't think of at the moment for some reason but he was a severe alcoholic too, Robert Schuman (sp?), and a whole lot of other composers, writers, leaders, artists, musicians, sculpters, etc.<

Thanks for the encouragement, Shutter. I've often thought that the most brilliant among us are those whose minds blur the edge between the ego and the collective unconscious.
I agree 100%.