Notices

chlorpromaz

Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

chlorpromaz

Does anyone have any personal experience with the above medication. My son has been out of the hospital over a week now and is taking numerous meds but he is also taking 250mg of chlorpromaz a day and he hates this med. I know that he cant stop taking his meds but he really hates this stuff. He said it makes him extremely slow in speaking, walking, everything. The last two nites I have gave him only 150mg because if I didnt neogiate with him, he would of not took any. We dont see his doctor until the 4th of March. He is also taking 1500 of Depakote at nite and 2-3mg of the Risperdal that he doesnt complain about. He is over the mania stage, he has a ways to go, I know that but from my understanding on this chlorpromaz it is for psychotic behavior and he isnt having that problem anymore. I will continue to give him the 150 and will most likely call the doctor but not sure if any of you guys have any knowlege or experience with this. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sandi!

I'm thinking it is the same as chlorpromazine, which is the generic name for Thorazine. You can google it and it has a lot of info. Don't know if you've ever heard of the "thorazine shuffle".....apparently people on it "shuffle" when they walk. It does have a side effect of slowing everything down.

This is obviously not medical advice, but I would definitely check with your doctor about it. You say he's not in the mania phase any more, but that may be in part to the fact that he is taking the thorazine. I know my friend from work, who is going through the same thing with her son (he's STILL in the hospital!) says the hardest part has always been getting her son to take the meds. Maybe the dr. can come up with something else that doesn't have as strong side effects.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
You say he's not in the mania phase any more, but that may be in part to the fact that he is taking the thorazine. I know my friend from work, who is going through the same thing with her son (he's STILL in the hospital!) says the hardest part has always been getting her son to take the meds. Maybe the dr. can come up with something else that doesn't have as strong side effects.
That is the first thing I thought of too. Polypharmacy is tough because there is never a 1:1 cause and effect, so although the doc said, "Med ABC is for your XYZ", that doesn't mean it doesn't effect other areas. Things like sedation can happen with any or all of those medications he is on, so taking that med may push that side effect over the top...instead of being the only cause of it. He should let his doc know because it can be a delicate balance and if he starts messing with what he takes and when he takes it.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Content with my past

I made a mistake he takes 250mg twice a day which is a total of 500mg. He would only take 50mg this morning and that will be what he will take tonite. He is going from 500 to 100. I am worried that he will get sick again but I cant make this boy do what he doesnt want to do. I just left a message with his case manager because I dont have the number for the nurse practioner that he will be seeing the first of the month. I am hoping that him being on the Dep. and the Respedol (sp) that he will continue to be stablize but I dont know crap about this. Hopefully I will get a call back. I did google this med and it is used for psychotic behavior and he seems to be over that. He is functioning pretty good. He can conversate with me and watch tv, play his games. He is taking showers and is wanting to see his friends. So....... he is not alienating himself like he was before. I guess I will wait for the phone call.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Content with my past

When he was released out of the hospital the first time and we readmitted him the next day he was only on 200 total mg at that time. So I am praying that taking 100 mg a day will keep him stabilize. I only get voice mail when I call there and that is so frustrating. I just want him to get back to somewhat normal and I would hate for all of the 24/7 care and hospital stay to be a waste and have to repeat it again. Just hope things start to get better.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hopefully the NP gets back to you about his/her advice. If a person were only on one med and stopped/drastically cut down on it, it could really cause some problems. If a person is on multiple meds that have some cross over....it may or may not have an immediate or future consequence. It may be helpful for both you and him to have the NP explain why he is on what he is on, and some general stuff about the importance of med compliance, etc. If he's 18+, he'll need to sign off on you being there, so keep that in mind. The reason why it is good for more than 1 person.....so if there are questions later on, they can help clarify the issue (ie. "The NP said I could cut back if I felt like it", etc)

The #1 cause of non-response to a medication.......non-compliance. Meds are very particular, and skipping doses, changes doses, etc....can have an effect on if a med works.

Last edited by pedagogue; 02-13-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Sandi)))

Another thing I would recommend, is when you think of questions for the NP (since you are having trouble getting through to her ) is write them down. I learned this from my patients because as soon as the doctor would leave the room, they would remember something else they wanted to ask him. I do the same thing if I go to a doctor...of course I want to know EVERYTHING, ya know?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was on Clorpromazine for a while and it can have the side effects that your son talks of. Thankfully there is a side effect pill that can be taken and then the chlorpromazine is quite tolerable. The side effects can be nasty enought that you dont want to take the meds but something is definately better nothing and the doctor did diagnose it for a reason. From my experience it can take a while getting all the meds to balance out but it is so worth it and what you experience along the way are really technical difficulties but I do remember the feelings of desperation and panic that goes along with experiencing them until you find a balance. I had to go to the hospital once a month for meds and to see the doctor and it could be frustrating knowing that things werent going all that right and I still had another 2 weeks to wait.

I refused meds the first time i was hospitalised on release and when I was admitted the second time they kept me longer. I would have done anything to get out of there and in that state of desperation I realised that I would have to do something to not get incarcerated again and that was when I came to the realisation that the meds were the only foreseable way to get that not to happen again.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Content with my past

I talked to his case manager and explained that he refusing to take the full dosage and she thinks he will be ok. He is on a high dosage of a mood stabilizer and the Risperdol. I am just keeping a eye on him and so far he is improving every day. I cant wait until the 4th just to see the doctor. That will make me feel a lot better. This is just a day by day thing with him and thats all I can do for now. I try to keep him doing things which is hard at times. He gets so bored and I dont know what to do with him. I am thinking about getting the Monoploy game today and play that. He has always liked playing that with me and it can help with his thinking pattern. What do you all think about board games and any other suggestions that I can occupy some of his time. He is 18 years old so he gets bored with mom....
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think board games are a great idea!

Even though he probably won't spend a ton of time with you (it comes with the territory of being 18 and a boy), I think playing a game could be a nice change of pace. Both card (gin rummy, etc) and board games (Monopoly, Life, and UpWords) were always favorites in my house. We'd also do movie days (order take out, have candy/popcorn/ice cream, and get some movies, etc.)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

Does he play a musical instrument?
If not, is he interested in learning to?

Or how about learning a language? OR anything new?
He's got time on his hand now.

I'm not sure. Maybe it's not the time now, with him taking new meds. But, something positive for him to focus on may be good for him.

Shalom!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Content with my past

He doesnt have many interests except to take off in my car and hook up with his friends. He has driving privledges to go to specific places but he is not doing that. I made a mistake and gave in and gave him my car to go buy some valentine gifts and he was suppose to be home at 4 and got home at midnite. I thought he was in a accident and was at a hospital or that he was lost out there some where. My mistake. He just wears and wears on me until I give in. The good thing that came out of this is that he saw his best friend that he hasnt seen in a few months and his friend was asking me why he is acting the way he is and I explain it to me and I was sure he would disown my son but he just called and wanted to come over and hang out with him for a couple hours so I hope it goes well. He is contantaly wanting to do something and he doesnt have a clue what it is. He tells me he has so much to do and business to take care of and none of it makes any sense. I just keep praying and telling myself that it will get better but he is such a handful and I cant go anywhere without him by my side because I am afraid of what he might get into. The worse part of last nite was that he didnt even realize he was suppose to get Valentine gifts and he was mad at me for being mad at him. He called me a bitch and it hurt but I let it go. This morning it was like nothing even happened. I know this is part of the disorder but I am hoping the meds will control his hateful words to me. I cant and wont tolerate it forever. I will keep a open mind for a couple months but eventually something will have to give. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whether he is 8, 18, or 38....it is important to be consistent. If you know he tries to wear you down, you should probably try and pre-emptively put your foot down. Maybe if he wants to go out, schedule something and make him stick to it. A child (regardless of age) will keep after something if they know they will eventually get rewarded. If you can stick to your word, and make him do things your way (and not reward him for being a PITA), hopefully that will set in. Also, if he *does* start doing what he says he is doing and starts complying with your requests, then maybe you can work with him on some of the other stuff. It is *really* important to praise/reinforce when he does things the right way....as it is as much about how you act/react as what he does. I swear this method can work......whether it is in a classroom, at the home, or in the office.

I'd encourage you to keep posting, as others have some suggestions or words of support.