Notices

Overmedicated

Old 02-08-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

Overmedicated

My son has been out of the hospital since Tuesday and he is taking a lot of meds. I think he is over medicated but I dont know much about all of this. He walks around the house real slow, eyes glassy and he doesnt speak much. He is doing better each day but the meds are overwhelming. Does anyone have any experience with being released from the hospital with too many meds? He is taking all of them and he will until he has his first pysch. appt in a few weeks but I was planning on talking to the doctor about all of the meds. Just wanted to know your personal experiences.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you are going about it right. When someone gets discharged it is a good idea to have a follow-up and re-evaluate and tweak it if necessary. People run into issues when they decide to stop taking this or that, or changing the dosing, etc. There is usually a delicate balance for everything.

With that being said.....I'd definitely think bringing up your concerns with the doc is a good idea. It's important to let the doc know how your son is doing with affect, mood, behavior, physical symptoms, etc. I'm not sure how old he is, but it can be helpful to have him explain how he is feeling to the doc. The more information you can provide the doc, the better. Hopefully s/he can speak to your concerns and hopefully change the meds and/or alleviate your concerns. Poly-pharmacy is one of those things that requires a delicate touch, but if done correctly it can really make a difference.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son was released from the hospital Jan 2, in much the same condition. His meds have been changed several times already. Yesterday they switched him from seroquel to abilify for his antipsychotic. He's still in bed as I type, going into his 13th hour. Personally I think it's the depakote that's causing his zombie like behavior but I suppose we'll find out over time.

I'm brand new to this and I hate it. But one thing I've learned so far is that if your son will allow you to attend his appointments with the prescribing Dr. it helps. It seems that one of the bigger problems my son has is the inablity to see himself as he really is, ie what's the problem with sleeping 14 -16 hours a day, I'm tired. ::sigh::

Good luck to you, I'm told this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Content with my past

Easeful, I am sorry that you are going thru all of this with your son also. It is so tryin on us as mothers. I feel we do any and everything to help them and it can get so overwhelming and frustrating. My son is taking right now, Depakote er 500 mgs 3 of them at nite along with Respetdal 3mg one in the morn and one a nite. He takes 2 chlorpromaz 250mg inthe morn and at nite and one chlorpromazine 50mg one in the morn and one at nite. He also is taking his adderall in the morning for the adhd. I was thinking it was the chlorpromazine and chlorpromaz that was causing his overmedicated problem, I was under the assumption that the Depakote was the mood stabilizer to keep im on. How many do your son takes of the Deakote. I thougt this would be the miracle drug to get him stablized. What is your knowledge on Deakote. Do you know anything on the other meds he is on. Maybe my son is on too many Deakotes. Not sure. They started him on only 2 of them at nite but moved up to three. He isnt sleeping all the time. We have been getting him to sleep by 11 at nite and up by 9 or 10. He did take a few short naps but I wake him up after a coupld hours because the hospital told me not to let him sleep too much. I tried to get him out of the house a little each day and I do something with him. He has been with my parents a lot staying there with them. I will go down later today and get him to go for a ride and maybe ice cream or something. I think its important to get them out of the house to keep them moving forward. When he does take naps, I make him get up after 2 hours. The doctors say not to let him sleep too much. Easier said then done when they wake up all grouchy. Hang in there and no you are not alone. I was very devasted over all of this but now I am taking it day by day and I do see a improvememt each day. Maybe not major changes but they are coming. The biggest issue is to make sure he takes all of his meds which so far he has been doint that. I hope things get better for your son and I will keep you in my thoughts. From one mother to another. Just trying to survive all of this. Take care of yourself also. You have to be healthy and strong to take this all on. I am here if you need me. We all need to know that we are not alone in this.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have wondered this same thing about my aunt. She is extremely overmedicated (IMO) on Lamactil, xanax, trazodone, ambien, zoloft, and another one similar to lamactil. She passes out in public and has used the bathroom on herself numerous times, even in Walmart.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Newsandi,

Yes, from what I understand the depakote is a mood stabilizer. My son is also taking 3, 500 mg at bedtime. Up from 2 a month ago. My belief that it's the depakote that's making him zombie like is from a psychiatric home health nurse that I'm working with in my position as primary caregiver for an elderly bi-polar/schizophrenic sil.

Thanks for the encouragement. You take care of yourself as well. I hope things get better for you and your son soon.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Easeful,

Depakote is known to be quite sedating (which for some is very helpful, and for others not as much). It can help with sleep, but it isn't surprising that he is feeling zombie-like as that feeling can hang around. Since you mentioned he just switched meds, it'd be a good idea to check in with him on how he is feeling. It may be helpful to write down from day to day how it is going, and then let the pdoc know if you see a pattern and/or there are big changes. The tough thing about finding the right combination of meds is that it is as much art as it is science....so hang in there, it can get better/easier. It may also be helpful to start a thread here, so you can gather your thoughts and get feedback as you move forward. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took depakote before and it did that to me, the zombie like symptoms. It also made my hair fall out and my teeth grind all night long. I had a mouth piece that I used.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

>I took depakote before and it did that to me, the zombie like symptoms. It also made my hair fall out and my teeth grind all night long. I had a mouth piece that I used.<

Amazing. I took him to the dentist today to be fitted for a night guard. I had no idea this might be related to the depakote.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easeful View Post
>I took depakote before and it did that to me, the zombie like symptoms. It also made my hair fall out and my teeth grind all night long. I had a mouth piece that I used.<

Amazing. I took him to the dentist today to be fitted for a night guard. I had no idea this might be related to the depakote.
Could be. That is what happened to me. I had one that I got from CVS pharmacy, a mouth gard, it was like 25$. Before I bought that one, I used a rolled up washcloth. Gross, I know.