Notices

Citalopram

Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Citalopram

Ok, I'll give you some history first.

I've been on this for about 4 years now, I still have the odd panic attack, nowhere near what it was before, but it just doesn't seem to do much.

Is it even worth carrying on with this? It just seems like I'm swallowing something that doesn't even do anything.

My doctor won't give me anything stronger, I've even given up taking it for weeks at a time and had no side-effects.

It seems no better or worse if I'm taking it or not.

Is it worth even taking?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should ask your doctor his reasoning for keeping you on it. Each case is different, though he may have a valid reason for choosing this course.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was first going to say, if you can be off of it for 2 or 3 weeks with no side effects, just get off of it.

But I think pedagogue's advice is much better. Especially consider the fact that I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

You mentioned that the Dr. won't give you anything stronger. Do you need something stronger? If you came off the Citalopram with no side effects, I assume that includes no increased anxiety and/or no increase in panic attacks? If so, why would you need something stronger?

peace and hugs!
PD

(P.S. I'm going through something very similar with Clonazopam, which I believe is in the same class of drugs. Just recently talked to my doc about it. It appears to me I've built a tolerance to it, I am on a very low does. I told her I'm careful with it (it has a bad history of becoming habit forming) and was concerned about upping the dose, not opposed to it but concerned. She said, well she sort of said two things and now I'm going to have to ask her to clarify. She said 1) we could wean you off them 2) just go ahead and continue to take your normal dose at bedtime. Wow, I guess those contradictory statements slipped right by me)