Notices

Anyone have any experience on Effexor xr

Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Content with my past

Anyone have any experience on Effexor xr

I saw my doctor today and he decided to put me on Effexor XR for my depression and I was wondering if anyone is on it or has been on it. I was taking Paxil for a very long time and since I got clean from opiates, I thought I didnt need anything so I started weening myself off of it, but decided the last few days that I am depressed, have a lot of issues going on in my life, that I know I need to be on something. I start taking it tomorrow morning and I am ready to get out of this rut but read on another forum that it is bad, but that was just one person's opinion. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I have been on Effexor for years and so far it has been the best AD for me with no bad side effects. I hope it does the trick for u
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

i've also been on it for years and it's been the best one for me.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Each person reacts differently to meds.
Please don't make a decision based on any one person's experience; yours could be quite different.

You and your doctor are a team in your health care. I hope you feel free enough to discuss everything with him/her openly. That includes any questions, concerns and fears. Then, when a decision is made, follow through and pay attention to *your* experiences with the medication. Your body will let you know how you tolerate it -- or not.

That's not to say that common experiences should be ignored. For example, Welbutrin is an antidepressant that gives many people relief. But, one of the common side effects is an increase in anxiety. So, if a person has difficulty in that area to begin with, it's probably not a good idea to use that particular antidepressant. And there's plenty of others to choose from.

Common sense, team work with your physician and listening to your own body will go a long way towards your recovery. I wish you well....

Shalom!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been taking Effexor XR for years too. I think the dosage is as important as the drug. I tried to help myself, but when I felt worse, I could didn't know what was wrong. When I tried to commit suicide, my dosage went up 4 times. I feel much better.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been on it for year for my bi-polar. I'm now on 225mg in the morning and it's worked well. That's not to say it's for everyone. It can take a while to get u on the right meds and makes u feel an experiment. But take your docs advice and keep trying til u find the right one for you