Notices

The Seroquel Zombie

Old 12-29-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On The Bus

The Seroquel Zombie

Well, in a surprise move by the doctor that helps me with my substance abuse issues, he gives me a test for bipolar depression. He gives me a starter pack of Seroquel and a script for 300 mg. once at night.

They friggin knock me out!!! Within 45 minutes of taking half a dose at 150 mg., I have to lay down and go to bed or risk fainting and falling on the floor.

I am undecided how I feel during the following day. In a way I feel kind of sleepy and dopey, but at least not too anxious and panicky.

The thing is, I dont know if I want to become a Zombie.

Anyone else out there take Seroquel?? Mike
Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Mike;

I had it for a few days. I couldn't take it at all....I was a walking zombie too!
I'm on topamax now. Both prescribed for anxiety. I'm not a zombie, but, I don't really know if it's helpful....

Wishing you luck!

Shalom!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

seroquel

Both my sons are on Seroquel for Bipolar. They were very tired on it for the first two weeks but it that effect went away. As a mood stabilizer it worked wonders for both of them. If your doctor wants you to take it at bedtime then take it and get in bed at least until you are used to it. Neither of my sons are zombies on it. They were very aggressive, aggitated and severe mood swings before they started it. But if it doesn't get better ask for a different med.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My humble opinion on your case
I would ask your doctor what he feels about you taking 75 mgs at night to sleep, and 25mg during the day as a tranquilizer/mood stabilizer. It should also have a positive effect on the depression part.
Basically, you need to lower the dosages it sounds like. In any case, you need to let him/her know what's going on.
My first experience
First time I took Seroquel was in 2005. It didn't knock me out at night, but it did help me to relax in order to sleep. I was taking 25-50 mg at night. Getting up in the morning was difficult. I never got used to it, I had to stop using it.
2nd experience
I recently started Seroquel again, this time it was only 25 mg in the morning to keep me tranquil. My body takes it much better now, so taking it for the day was no problem. In fact, it stopped working recently, and I didn't feel like moving to a higher dose (afraid of the inevitable zombie effect), so I ask my doctor if I could stop it, he said sure.
Currently
I'm taking Zyprexa (among other stuff) at night and during the day to help with anxiety and sleep. I love Zyprexa (I even welcome the weight gain -- I do need to start exercising soon though). My main problem with Zyprexa is that it makes me want to pick up. It gives me a very slight buzz, and a lot of times I want something stronger. I often wonder if that want was always there, or if the Zyprexa is increasing that desire to use.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband was prescribed 25 mg 3 times a day and 50mg at night. He looked loaded and became a total zombie.
I was prescribed 25 mg at night for sleep within 2 weeks I was zombified. I quit taking it daily, but find if I am really having trouble with sleep I take one occasionally and that hasn't had an adverse effect. Yet, I remain wary. I also have trazadone for sleep, which I trust and recommend highly.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm surprised i havent I loved bein a zombie 24/7
Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

It made me zombie like for about 5 days - which I needed. Since then it has no obvious side affects. Take 50mg during the day, 150 at night - even then doesn't help me sleep. My body has got used to it I guess
Old 03-13-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That crap is utterly horrible and patently useless for most of you. The idiot psychiatrist tried to fob me off with this garbage too. It should only be used for what it was developed for, psychosis and schizophrenia. They have medication for insomnia and anxiety, they're called benzodiazepines.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I take Seroqul 300 mg at night. I was so manic that I was quite psychotic when it first got perscribed. (I also take Lithium, Depakote, and Ativan.)

The Seroquel was like a magic pill for me. I felt as if I had spent my entire life looking out at the world through a screened in door. And as soon as I started to take the Seroquel, it felt as if someone had opened the screened-door and I could step out into the real world.

It does help me sleep. That's a good thing for me. Not sleeping stirs up my bipolar disorder.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took 100 mg last night. I only take it when I feel that I need a kick start. I'm a zombie today. I probably slept 14 hours and hard a hard time dragging myself out of bed today. A few minutes after I took it, I went to bed and I couldn't even read one page in my book.