Notices

Q about antidepessants

Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Q about antidepessants

I am new to this. I have been sober for many year. About 3 years ago I relapsed on percs. I am clean now for about a week. My counceler suggested celexa(citalopram). Does anyone have any expeirience with this or any opinions?
Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, again, Dave!

I tried celexa once, many years ago. Unfortunately, at the time, I was on a number of different medications, and had a very bad reaction. I cannot say it was *celexa* per say that caused the problem, though. I personally think it was the combination of the meds. I suffered from Serotonin Syndrome, basically an "overdose" of serotonin from the many meds I was on.

Please wait and hear from some of the others. It can be a bit slow during the holidays, but, there's always someone here.

I look forward to getting to know you as we both grow in our recovery.

Shalom!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of my biggest problems with taking meds is I’ve spent my whole life being my own best chemist. If your DR is recommending this medication and if you are questioning it I would seek out a second opinion with another DR. From there I would get all the facts and decide to take it or not.

You have been clean one week, what are you doing for your alcoholism/addiction issues? Taking anti depressants was never the answer to my alcoholism. I take medication for various symptoms but without sobriety and a program of recovery the meds are useless. Congratulations on being clean for five days and good luck.

All Good Things,
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like I said, I'm not exactly new( clean of booze and crack for 17 years) so I am doing all the right things-meetings, 1 o1 counceling, exersise etc. My concern is the fact that My relaplse involed opiotes which I know mess with the trasmiters in the head. My thinking is that an AD can help balance the issue.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi dave123,

I have taken antidepressents all 19 years of my recovery and too may be having a problem with Serotonin Syndrome. I have Chronic Depression and have been diagnosed with depression since a teen.

I decided to quit my meds to drink, using alcohol to self-medicate my depression.

I finally hit my bottom from within myself and asked for help. I had counseling for my depression and alcoholism at the same time different counselors for each.

I attended AA for my alcoholism and still work the AA program in my life today. I continue to see doc for my depression/meds & see a PsycDoc about once a year for med monitoring...or sooner if I am having a problem.

My last doc left my clinic and moved away and I just found out last week that he hadn't followed through on what my PsycDoc had suggested when I saw her to get off of Lithium. Then she also recomended that I use Lexapro and reduce my Effexor but she didn't tell me this and my doc didn't tell me either.

I had a break-through of depression last week and this is what I learned so my doc is going to talk with my PsycDoc on Wednesday and I will see him on Friday to see what she suggests.

My doc felt that my medication plan is too complicated for him to change without the PsycDoc's input which made me feel good. Some docs just blindly put a person on or take them off a med without any consideration for what may happen.

I have gone to a new clinic which is at the Behavioral Health Center, which is why the uncertainy about my medications...I usually see a female doc but she was off the day they had me come in as an emergency for my depression.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi Dave, I personally would not hesitate to try an AD. My quality of life has improved greatly since I have been treated. I have not tried Celexa but after some trial and error I found Exeffor to be a good fit. Good luck with this...