Let's chuckle together . . .

Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's chuckle together . . .

I can hardly wait for my dysfunctional family to gather at my house Xmas Eve for our annual celebration. I barely see my mother during the rest of the year and she only lives 15 minutes away! She has decided tomorrow since she is fighting with her 5th husband that she will show up at my house at 10 am to "help" me prepare for Xmas Eve. She asked me what she could bring. I told her German Potato Salad. She said ok can you purchase the ingredients and boil the potatoes tonight and I'll put it together tomorrow. LOL!! My dear sister who is 7 years younger than me as put me in charge of picking up her 7 mo. old daughter from her new foster mother and transporting her to and from my house. Sis has three kids. She lost them all to foster care because of her drug and alcohol addictions. I don't even want to go there.
Dad will need to be picked up. He is in late stage alcoholism and he'll just sit and sip his beer the entire time.

The good news is this crap use to bother me. Doesn't anymore at all. I kinda laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Been thinking next year I may book a cruise at Xmas and "get outta Dodge".

Laurie
Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by Lauriejess View Post
Been thinking next year I may book a cruise at Xmas and "get outta Dodge".Laurie
That sounds like a great idea.

Keep us posted.

Growing
Old 12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I think every family has a crazy bunch of relatives that show out at family get togethers. I guess if you can look at it the way you do, it is kinda funny!
I don't think I could take too many days of the "family" though. My mother is enough for one day!

I do like the cruise idea. What a better way to not have to get in the middle of it!!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think I could take too many days of the "family" though. My mother is enough for one day!
You'll get there Wabbit. Just like you can already laugh at the absurdity of some of the things your mom says on the phone, you will eventually be able to stand back as an observer and marvel at the dysfunction and chaos and wonder how these people survived this long.

My grandmother used to tell me "You have a choice in life of whether to laugh or cry. It's always better to laugh." It probably explains my gallows humor My grandmother was an amazing lady - how she survived the toxicity she was surrounded by is beyond me - by laughing, I guess.

She used to like to write dirty limericks, which her sons would chastise her for. In her will, she wrote one of the dirtiest limericks I've ever read (original composition by her) concerning a camel and its hump. I know she did it laughing the whole time.

You've come so far already, I wouldn't be surprised to hear you laughing at the absurdity soon, even when your mom is staying with you. Oh sure, the laughing is interspersed with jaw grinding annoyance, but the laughter takes some of the sting out of it.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I'll bet your grandma was a scream Ginger! Dirty limericks. LOL, I am laughing and I haven't even read them!

I was watching a Christmas Malcom in the middle, and the oldest son went to his GF's parents for Christmas dinner. There were about 20 relatives there all cussing each other! It was so funny I was in hysterics. Obviously one of the writers had experienced the fun of alcoholic relatives at a family Christmas dinner!