Notices

Hi everyone, newly sober dealing with anxiety

Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, newly sober dealing with anxiety

Hi guys,

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with anxiety early in sobriety. I'm always anxious (diagnosed gen. anxiety disorder/adhd at age 12). Started drinking at 15 or so to deal with social situations and I'm 24 now and find I'm in the same place dealing with anxiety as before I started drinking. In social situations, or even alone. Actually alone is often worse. I find it impossible to be alone. My mind races like a hampster wheel all night thinking about every wrong thing I've done, feeling stupid and incapible, etc. Sometimes it's so overpowering people say I seem like I'm not even there. It feels like I'm floating above the room, watching everything happening and I'm losing my mind. Anytime I'm doing something at work or in public I feel like people are watching, scrutinizing my every move and appearance to the point of being hard to function. I know I sound like a huge egomaniac thinking others actually care that much, but its still very distracting. Anyway, any suggestions on how to bring yourself back to reality when this happens? I'm taking cipralex and do take ativan, but since I've quit drinking the anxiety has been through the roof. It feels impossible to relax. Lol watching tv or a movie is impossible as the voices and thoughts in my head yell over everything!:chatter
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, youngirish;

Congratulations on your sobriety.
FOr anxiety, I use a number of techniques. I exercise. I meditate. I use progressive relaxation. I use imagery. I keep busy cooking, canning, gardening or any other mindless activity. I read, if I'm not too anxious and can concentrate. Call people on the phone or better yet, get together with friends. Get into a group counselong or an individual counseling session.

What have you already tried?

I look forward to hearing from you. Best of luck.

Shalom!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you post in the anxiety forum you'll find that many of us feel the exact same way. You're definitely not alone in the symptoms you described. A lot of us turned to substance abuse as a way to self medicate our anxiety disorders, myself included. And feeling like everyone is watching you doesn't make you an egomaniac; it's really common for people with anxiety disorders to feel this way.

You should talk to a therapist, if you're not already. A combination of meds and therapy works really well for a lot of us. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can help with the thought processes that make you think everyone is watching you and can help you build your self confidence and learn to function like a "normal" person, and the meds can help with the physical symptoms.

Also, it's perfectly normal for the anxiety to increase when you stop drinking. For me, I was doing OK when I was drunk all the time, but when I stopped that's when the anxiety became unbearable and I started seeing a therapist. Since I started therapy and learned to think like a "normal" person the anxiety has decreased and as that's gotten better my urge to drink has subsided.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi - I suffer from alcoholism and when I'm not drinking am EXTREMELY anxious -- which is why I drink to feel normal. I hardly ever get rip roaring drunk.

Anyways - I have found that Valerian (sp) root helps - it's a natural herb you find at a health food store. It's very mild and doesn't knock you out but relaxes the nervous system and promotes peaceful sleep.

That's just something that works for me when I'm staying sober.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi, I would definitely talk to your Dr., as a nurse, usually they like to add an antidepressant like Paxil or Effexor xr. Both are used for anxiety even with or without depressive thought patterns. The goal is usually to control the anxiety and eventually get off the controlled substance such as ativan or xanax. Though some Dr.s will use both to help a patient. I would love to congratulated u for getting sober that is so wonderful. That is such an accomplishment. I would also try some positive thinking, try a mantra, which is just a sentence that lifts your spirits. Anything that is relevant to u, such as "I am a worth while person~people should be proud to know me" or something that works for u. Keeping repeating it in ur head when u are in social situations and stressed out. I know I have fallen prey to those thoughts to, the ones that drive u to think too hard. Like I tell my girlfriend who suffers with bipolar disorder, tell those voices I am going to kick their ass and tell them u are wonderful, she just laughs but it always cheers her up. Take care of Yourself and be kind to u, after are we are all that we really have, to be are very best selves.