Notices

No More Denial

Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No More Denial

I have decided to except MY bipolar. What I will not do (if I can help it) is take meds.
My only son died in 2000 from taking meds for his mental illness.
Needless to say I am a little spooked about meds.

Last week I saw a therapist. For the first time in my 15 year mental health history, I was honest with a therapist.
It went well. She said we were going to see if we can use everything at our disposal for me to get better WITHOUT MEDS.
I decided that if all else fails I might consider meds.
I never tried honesty, intense therapy, support groups, etc.
Let's pray these methods will be enough. If not I will get all the info I can about any drug that is suggested to me.

For now, I thank GOD for a place like this to share with people who understand.

BE WELL EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

I am happy you are here.

Many people function differently with meds. I hope you find what works for you. I know how that can take some time, but it's definitely possible. There are other approaches outside traditional medicine. I personally, decided to try that, but that doesn't mean it works for others. I've heard some doctors think it's a good idea to have both a spiritual/untraditional form of exercise/healing like yoga mingled with medication. I was looking for something permanent, a change not just in the chemicals that had effects on my body but also in my soul.

I really hope you find what works for you, because that is part of the personal journey of discovery of peace, self esteem and the purpose for our lives down here on earth.

take care!keep posting.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Glad you can finally accept the diagnosis. There are a lot of things you can do to help yourself without the use of meds, but i'll just say "good luck" doing it without any.

Do you know if you are bipolar I or II?

I can't imagine how difficult the loss of your son has been, but would you mind sharing what his diagnosis was and how the meds played a part in his death?

i can't express how beneficial group therapy is...especially if you find a really great group. I'm back in day treatment right now and most of it is group therapy and i've also read lots about the research regarding how beneficial group therapy is.

welcome and hugs,
jenna