Notices

Anxiety in divorce - First year

Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
xix

Anxiety in divorce - First year

hello, I am new here and hoping to find some help.
My spouse left me for a variety of reasons (including alcoholism) and I began AA about a week later. I was 27 and am now 28. I began about a year ago and have had continuous sobriety since Jan 2nd ( I reset my sobriety date after a suicide attempt). It's been a tremendously difficult year. My ex cut me off for months (my addiction included an affair), I had to move home with my parents cross country. The ex couldn't care less about my getting help in AA. I recently returned from NY and have suffered unrelenting anxiety and depression since. I am scared to be alone, AA has been a savior but I certainly have never had the pink cloud people speak of. I still cry every day. I pray, I go to meetings, but it's still unrelenting. I know for a fact that anxiety is the reason I drank. We had our official divorce court hearing this Friday.

I should add that in my time at home I worked my twelve steps and attended daily meetings. I was feeling okay, in the womb of my parents but also frustrated as I was in an isolated place, missing what I enjoy.

I recently got into a new relationship (after being separated for over a year and with the approval of my sponsor) and this provokes anxiety as well. He's sober too (though i didn't meet him via AA). In a way I am glad my anxiety has continued with this relationship, that I don't use him as a crutch but rather as another form of support.

I just need to know it's get better. Has anyone else gone through a divorce in the first year?

thanks, Kerry
Old 11-01-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Xix,

Welcome to this board. You will find help and support, and you need it, as you´re going through lots and lots of changes. It´s normal it takes toll on you.

I was very anxious after I got clean and sober and in my experience, most people are because this is a lifechanging event. Congratulations on your sobriety, well done.

Moving, breaking up with a boyfriend, beginning a new relationship, all this is incredibly stressful.

I would take it one day at a time, even one hour at a time. Keep things real simple. This should lessen the anxiety, and if you can, see a therapist. When you stop drinking, a huge amount of energy is freed. It takes a while to readjust it, so be kind to yourself and give it time.

Love and light,
Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, you should definitely be seeing a therapist or counsellor on a regular basis, if you're not already. Are you taking any meds for the anxiety or depression? Are you seeing a mental health professional? There is a lot of help available and I hope you take advantage of that, especially given your suicide attempt. There really IS a lot to live for and life can be great, but some of us need a little help figuring out how to make that happen. I think you can have a good and happy life but you're gonna need some professional help to figure out how.