Notices

Does anyone have any dissociative dissorders?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any dissociative dissorders?

I just wondered if anyone suffered from any dissociative disorders ?

I suffer from D I D..

runs to hide..
Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

not i, but no need to hide. others have posted around here about dealing with DID and other dissaciative dissorders. Welcome and i'll keep my fingers crossed for you that someone with DID will stop in to chat with you soon.

hugs,
jenna
Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's a thread from last year (although i know there have been much more recent threads in the past month). i think this one may be especially helpful to you...as one member listed some good links you may want to check out.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-disorder.html
Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Indigo

Why run and hide? Are you newly diagnosed and it's still a little bit difficult to accept?

I'm multiple. I was diagnosed back in 1992. Although we are not integrated, multiplicity isn't a problem for us anymore: we've found a way to turn it into a positive. We don't suffer from DID anymore, much the same way we don't suffer from alcoholism anymore.

I'd be glad to talk to you about it if that's what you want.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

13...what does it mean to be or not be integrated?
I'm interested in hearing your story(s) if you wouldn't mind sharing?
How have you been able to turn everything into a positive?
And congrats on the sobriety!!

hugs and welcome X13,
jenna
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Indigo

When doctors first started treating DID (then MPD), they thought that the only way to become "better" was if everyone in the system merged (or integrated) into one person. They finally understood that some systems could not do that, and still other systems would completely integrate only to split back appart because it was too much too soon. What most people strive for now is cooperation between everyone within a system rather than focusing on integration as an end game.

Our system is not fully integrated, and I doubt that we ever will be: there really is no need. After many years of hard work, we do fully cooperate and trust each other and we are able to talk to, and interact with, one another. We pick up the slack for each other and help each other out when we can. Multiplicity is really the only thing we know, I can't imagine living life any other way. (In fact, I really can't understand how singular people manage to do as well as some of them do.)

Once upon a time, we did very much suffer from DID. Things were very chaotic and there was a tremendous ammount of in-fighting, mistrust and deception. We lost time and couldn't keep track of our schedule, finances or realationships. We could barely even communicate with each other.

We were able to turn things into a postive by first learning how to communicate internally so that we could build some trust amongst ourselves. After that, it was important to learn the way our system worked, what we were capable of, how our particular pysiology worked, what our strengths and weakness were and how best to compliment one another.

It's a long and difficult path, but many people have taken that journey and it's completely doable...not to mention incredibly rewarding. It has its ups and downs, but that just life on life's terms. And no matter what, you're going to have to live this life anyway, so you may as well live it trying to improve your lot.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow...that's wonderful !3! Thanks for sharing that!
Do docs know what causes multiples? What do you think?
Have there been 13 from birth? Are one or two of you more prominent?
How do friends and family handle everyone?
Is it often a guessing game to know who friends and family are talking to or is there ways they can learn who is talking when?
Do you mind if I ask if you are able to work? And if so, how difficult is it?
How old you are (and/or each)?

I'm sorry if these questions are too personal or anything, feel free not to answer if you don't feel comfortable with any of them. I'm really pretty ignorant about this topic. I'm just a curious one with a special curiousity for all things psychology based so thanks so much for sharing....not just for my benefit, but for all the others like TrustNO174 looking for answers too.

hugs,
jenna
Old 10-30-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thankyou so much for your replies..it means alot to know someone else here has this too..
i was only diagnosed around six mouthes ago..i suffered an assault..and the doctors think it was a result of that and abuse as a child that triggered it..
it was really chaotic to begin with and still is at some points..im not even sure really how many of us there are to date..
i knew of 6 until two days ago when two more appeared..
its hard to get me head round..
and i know others find it hard to expcept..my family did ..i no longer see them due to that and other things..
i am slowly getting used to it now..my partner is such a support to me as she has it too..and has done for years so in a way im glad have her around as she has been able to explain more to me..
but sometimes the alcohol thing sort of effects it all and its nice to know others who have the same and can understand where i am coming from..
thankyou for being so open it really does help me..
im not sure i have really got the best understanding of DID yet..but im trying..:ghug2
Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Indigo

Hi Trust, finding out you have DID isn't always easy to accept, but I know that in my case it certainly did explain a lot of things!

Shutterbug, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread; it's been a busy week with long days for me. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

Do doctors know what causes it? The leading theory among doctors is that severe, repeated childhood trauma (most often severe sexual abuse), including extreme childhood neglect, can cause a child's mind to separate (or dissociate) those memories/experiences from their normal awareness. The child "creates" other people to help her cope with the abuse (and/or can create someone to help protect or nurture her, etc.) and they get compartmentalized right along with the memories/experiences. Multiples become that way within the first 6 to 8 years of life. If you are not multiple by about that age, your not going to become one. That's the very short explanation.

What do I think? I think there are a lot of mulples that have that kind of history, sure.

Have there been 13 of us since birth? I don't know; I don't think so. We've had some mergings as well as some new people show up through-out the years. We're not sure of how many there are of us now, but it's around 13.

Are one or two of us more prominent? Sort of. There are a few of us (manybe 5) that we consider "front-runners," but anyone is allowed to take the front if there is something that they want to do out here.

How do our friends and family handle ever one? As far as family goes, only our sister can accept it. When we told her she said that our behavior in childhood finally made a lot of sense to her. To our friends, the multiplicity isn't a big deal. I guess it's just like having a friend who's gay or deaf or whatever.

Is it a guessing game to know who's talking when? People that we spend a lot of time around learn how to recognize who they are talking to. If they don't know, they can always ask.

Are we able to work? For the longest time we were not able to work bcause everything was extremely chaotic. We spent many years in hospitals: went through ECT, forced re-feedings, 4 stays in the burn center, psych hospitals, etc. At one point, we even had a psychologist that kept us very disfunctional so that he could continue to abuse us.

All that being said, yes, we are now able to work. Work is not difficult: we're responsible, we show up on time, work hard, we're knowledgeable, trustworthy and very reliable. We LOVE what we do. The only problem we have is that sometimes the little kids get very curious about some parts of our job that we don't want them to see. We have all agreed on some rules, but...you know how kids can be.

How old are we? Mostly kids, a few teens and 4 adults.

I don't mind anwsering questions. Just, please, don't assume that I speak for all people who are multiple. I'm telling you how it is for us and our system. I hope you find it helpful.