Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

meds becoming ineffective? Will I get better....ever?

Notices

Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

I read on the other thread that meds eventually become ineffective. This has me spooked! Do they ALL become ineffective? Am I going to spend my years going through the emotional turmoil that I have over the past few months trying to get stable?
My shrink has led me to believe I can get better....forever. He makes me think that if we get a medication that works and I stay on it for 5 years I will be 'better' is he just saying that to placate me? Am I never going to be truelly well and have this BP forever more? So sorry if this sounds naive, but I feel bereft of what I thought could possibly be my future.
Every time I have changed meds in the past year (and it has been several) I get so worked up.
Sorry, I have just got myself so worked up.
Hippy
xxx
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

((Hippy))

Please remember, we only have the present moment.
You are spending time worrying about a future possibility.
Today is the gift we have; that's why it's called the present.

If you need med changes in the future, you'll deal with it in the future.
Enjoy your stability now.
And work to keep it that way, by taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. That's our daily responsibility to ourself.

L'Chaim!
To Life!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Sorry to have upset you dear one. I don't think all meds become inaffective over time, but some do and the primary one i personally know about is the Effexor which has been my savior med for many reasons. Mood stabalizers are different and I don't think they have the same issues like this issue with the anti-ds.

I don't think your pdoc is trying to pacify you at all. I'm not a doc so i haven't had formal training on any of this...only what books and information i've been interested in enough to read for my own wantings.

I'm VERY curious about him saying that if you stay on the meds for 5 years then things will be better....so i'm going to have to look into that.

The bad news is that bipolar disorder is not curable, it is only treatable. I've found that the easiest way for me to think about it is in similar terms as cancer. When a person is diagnosed with cancer then the fight to eradicate it begins. Intinsive treatment can often take away all immediate dangers of the disease, and maintaining meds can help keep possiblity of re-growth, but...it can always return and when and if is always a guessing game.

In that same fashion, once diagnosed bipolar....the intensive treatment begins. Once out of the woods and a proper mix of meds brings stabalization, then it's kind of like being able to say "I'm cancer free" except the words would be...."I'm free of major mood episodes". The cancer patients become cancer survivors and the bipolar patients become major episode survivors. That's how i can best put it into words.

But the unfortunate truth is that the cancer survivor must constantly be on the look out so to catch any re-growth of cancer in the future. So too, must we be diligent (even after initial med stabalization) about being on the look out for future major episodes.

That's what i am dealing with I am in bipolar survival mode once again....where it's a daily battle until i get a proper med change or my higher power steps in or something. It's just my lot in life. Maybe this will be the last major battle of major mood disruption. i pray.

Try not to take any of what i say too heavily. And keep remembering that i'm not a doctor and all that i write is just my opinion or what i remember from memory that i've read and compiiled together in my brain's (sometimes defective) storage bank.

hugs hippy...i'm sorry you feel so worked up now. i wish i was more awake and alert to have better thoughts to give, but i'm typing very slowly now....hence my bedtime bell is ringing.

love,
jenna
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hippy

You didn't upset me Jena hunny, i just got upset! I do that sometimes, just focus in on something and go off at a tangent!
Your explanation is very good though Jenna. I will digest it a bit and calm myself down hopefully.
Just a lifetime of bloody high insurance though eh?

thank you too teach. I do try the present moment stuff. I have present moment awareness books and cards etc, but I do slip from time to time and find it hard to get out of a lifetime habit of worrying about the future.
Hippy
xx
Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Hippy, be patient, give it time, anti'ds 'are' different then mood stabilizers, I'm on effexors too, You know they had to up the dosage for me, yet now it seem to be working better for me and I am much better starting to really feel like my old happy and balaced self again, staying sober too. My friend I will call Jode her dosage is he highest you can get for effexors, but must be added in with the mood stabilizers and the anti-psychotics to keep her on an even keel. It took quite a long time for her but she is doing great and handling everything really well, you'll get there hun, vent anytime you know we're here for you.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the cancer analogy is spot on. There are certain meds that are more likely to need adjustment than others, but it is hard/impossible to look at a specific case and predict how that person will react on the front end. It is best to go day by day, and see how it goes. There has been some great work done in the last few years on mood management and more effective treatment protocols.

-p
Old 10-18-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's the horrible thing with these "mood cocktails" you have to find the proper balance and mix in order to get our best performance. And most of it is from trial and error.

Most of my depression meds have rendered themselves in effective at one point or another - I switched up sometimes and then returned. I think it is SO important to communicate with your doc about the specific symptoms so that they can help you in the best way possible. Most recently I was started on a small dosage of prozac in addition to my wellbutrin because I have horrific OCD symptoms. They seem to have gotten worse and I am disturbed by this -- so I have to REMEMBER to call my doc today and not just live with it until things get unmanageable again.
Try not to obsess about whether or not your meds are losing their effectiveness. I know I start to do that. Mood stablizers are different. I have been on various ones and found them helpful - I felt less highs and lows.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There has been some research done in what they call the "poop out" effect in regard to SSRIs (anti-depressants). Basically the meds lose their effectiveness (due to prolonged over-activation) , even at a high dose. IIRC the research found that it can effect a decent portion of people (under 50%, but still somewhere in the double digits), but that doesn't mean it is a 'forever' thing. Typically docs will "cycle off" that med and bring it back later, and use a different class of med in the interim. This obviously will vary by doc, and each case is different, so make sure to talk to your doc about your options.

-p
Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by HKAngel24 View Post
That's the horrible thing with these "mood cocktails" you have to find the proper balance and mix in order to get our best performance. And most of it is from trial and error.

Most of my depression meds have rendered themselves in effective at one point or another - I switched up sometimes and then returned. I think it is SO important to communicate with your doc about the specific symptoms so that they can help you in the best way possible. Most recently I was started on a small dosage of prozac in addition to my wellbutrin because I have horrific OCD symptoms. They seem to have gotten worse and I am disturbed by this -- so I have to REMEMBER to call my doc today and not just live with it until things get unmanageable again.
Try not to obsess about whether or not your meds are losing their effectiveness. I know I start to do that. Mood stablizers are different. I have been on various ones and found them helpful - I felt less highs and lows.
It's taken me two years to find a good combination for me. It's different for everyone. Don't stress about it, even though I know it can be hard. Try to be patient.

I love HK's post because she said so many things that I would have said.....so I just quoted her and added some emphasis to the things I think are really important for you to remember.