Notices

something happened in the workplace..

Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

something happened in the workplace..

Last week I told my boss I'd start working the night work on Wednesdays along with the day work too. One of the jobs is this warehouse that I cleaned before, but it had to be done at midnight some nights and that's too late for me. My anxiety was already sky high cleaning there b/c there are tons of people working in the office and then the warehouse people going on breaks..and I'd be cleaning the cafeteria and mopping the bathrooms. People just look at you like you're completely in their way..

Well, first off..last week one of my coworkers was cleaning in the bathroom and some guy came in and she told him the bathroom is closed-he can't come in. There are signs on the doors and there are 2 other bathrooms nearby. He said "watch me" and peed in the urinal before she could leave. She told my boss and my boss told the manager there. Apparently they really got on to him for it.

Then Sunday night she went to clean and there was graffitti all over the bathroom. On one of the walls they wrote a whole paragraph saying dirty things. Somewhere they wrote "suck my ****, bitch." On the toilet seat they wrote that they left a gift..and they pooped on the floor. In the woman's bathroom someone put a dirty tampon in the paper towel holder.

My boss went in there today and apparently they were having a meeting about the graffitti that couldn't be washed off the walls. My boss told the rest of the story and apparently some people might be fired.

I already have bad anxiety going there..I don't want to have to deal with that too. I can't imagine how my coworker felt finding that..

I need the money though..but I can't handle that type of behavior..

Katie
Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Bluebird,
What you've described is a hostile work environment.
The workers are taking our their anger at gettign scolded for harrassing behavior (peeing in front of your co-worker.)
The management MUST take appropriate action or be held responsible for their (the men's, and sadly some women's) actions.
It WILL be a difficult place to work.

You need to protect yourself at all costs.
Carry a notebook and pen at all times.
Be ready to record names, dates, times, places and witnesses. And then, be prepared to report them. If not, you're going to be held hostage by these cretins.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. If you don't need the job, don't take it on. If you do, protect yuourself as much as possible. Wear headphones and mind your own business. But, accept no harrassment. It will only increase if you do!

If you can find alternative work, try to.

I'm sorry...

Shalom!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hostile work environment!

Hi Bluebird,

Historyteach is very right. I was in a hostile work environment and wrote down the dates, times, and hostility. I put in grievances that were handled with a verbal NO-No....I ended up having to quit due to increased depression & my arthritis, at the advice of my doc.

I had worked there nine years and the guy that got on me....was a young pup with a long arm of degrees and not much common sense. When I quit, I was told that I couldn't draw out my pension. In the mean time I was declared eligible for Social Security Disability & was told that I could draw out my pension. I was getting lies from all over the place and I thought I was a good employee worth having the job.

I decided to sue after talking with the EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) office. I decided to do it with my lawyer in arbritation and I won a big settlement....over a years salary. It was well worth it and the guy tried to do this with another woman and was quickly fired that time.

Just remember, try not to let them get to you. I did okay initially because I didn't hold a grudge because I found it hurt me worse than the other person. He didn't like it when I wouldn't retaliate. But finally it all added up over a years time and I found myself yelling back at him.....I was stooping to his level and that wasn't good.

Take care of yourself first,

kelsh
Old 10-20-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. I went there on Wednesday and I think they fired some people. So I'm really glad for that. I do need the money, but not really badly..as I clean houses about 35-40 hrs a week too.

I don't think I'm going to do it anymore. My anxiety was too bad. I wasn't told how to work with 2 break-times..and 20 people going on break. So everything I did got ruined fast..and made the rest of my work impossible to do without correcting some of it. Then the person I was with couldn't hear me or understand me..and so I had to almost yell at her. And all she kept saying was "She'll be mad if we're over 2 hours..she loses money then." And I had to search everywhere for things I needed
b/c the person I was with had no idea.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be taken off b/c it took me so long or not.. I don't want to work it anyhow.

Katie
Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

bluebird -

sounds like you've already decided. Let it go. Nobody needs that kind of environment. I think you did great keeping your recovery first.

Wow. What a story. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before making any final decisions, you should talk to your union rep (if you have one), and/or boss. Ultimately you need to do what is best for you, but they may be able to help you out.

-p