Notices

Ocd

Old 10-13-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ocd

Hey all-

This is just a venting post I suppose.
Today I feel so annoyed at my OCD- that it controls me and that I feel so defective because of it. I hate it.

It's not something that is easily explained to others. I don't want to sit on the pity pot all day and feel sorry for myself but sometimes it's so overwhelming.
The obsessive thoughts, the rituals, the compulsions. My magical thinking has been bad lately. I just started another medication but today I'm just feel down in the dumps that this is even occuring at all.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

... Prayers for your peace coming your way
Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you ever tried congnitive behavioral therapy for it? I did a few years ago, and while it didn't eradicate it, it lessened it to a degree I can live comfortably with.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Heather...would you mind sharing what rituals, obsessive thoughts, compulsions you struggle with?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I suffer from trichomilliomania it is an ocd. Is there anyone else out there with this it is somewhat rare. My heart goes out to u Angel.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi reader...here's a thread that is in another forum site where other people have talked about trichomiliomania. http://www.depressionforums.org/foru...showtopic=1113

i think it is what one of my twin nephews has. He's done it since birth and mostly does it when he's sleepy, but it hasn't advanced to the degree of actually pulling the hair out (most of the time anyway). He's about to turn 4.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and of the 7 most common OCD types....here's me:

Hoarder
A hoarder collects objects or things that they find impossible to get rid of. A hoarder will collect things and put them away with the intent of using them in the future. An example of a hoarder is when a person collects newspapers for a long time thinks they will need a specific article (Foa & Wilson, pg 10).
Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

KERRY-

I suffer from it !!!
You're not alone!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a checker and a counter. I have to test the door 5 times to make sure it shuts, and I check the iron I don't know how many times and my favorite is checking to make sure the cat is not stuck in the fridge. sheesh
Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I'm a checker and a counter. I have to test the door 5 times to make sure it shuts, and I check the iron I don't know how many times and my favorite is checking to make sure the cat is not stuck in the fridge. sheesh

Ccgirl...i am busting up laughing!!!!!!!!!!! OMGosh. i'm just sitting here reading along, pushing my cat off my keyboard every few minutes and currently typing with her laying upside down on my left hand....makes it hard to type, but she's a persistant wench!

So the fridge!!?????? What the?? This one got locked in a spare room for several days somehow while i was away and mom thought she'd ran outside when she came over to check on her and things. Which wasn't abnormal...cat stays outside for a couple of days whenever she feels like it...so mom didn't think nothing of it. And i myself didn't even find her for another day after i'd returned b/c the goofy thing didn't cry! I mean this goofy cat doesn't NOTHING BUT cry....except when she needs to be!

So....that i can understand, but the fridge? Oh, i can see myself doing that tho now that i think about it. if this one got in the fridge once and i shut the door on her then i would be constantly worrying about it too!!

silly cats!!!!!!
now she's licking my shirt....
Old 10-15-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tsk! Tsk! You assume my checking the fridge for the cat is rational behavior. Silly girl. I don't know what started that one, but boy was I tired for a few years.

Another one that drove my husband crazy was when we first got married, when I went to work, I brought every hot appliance I had used that morning to the car (blowdryer, coffeemaker, etc) just to make SURE I had shut them off and they wouldn't burn the house down.

Thank goodness I've gotten it under much better control, because it can make you crazy, lol!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
believer

hey..feel free to pm me..

My brother had Ocd...You ask had?...

Yes..we struggled for years and years..It broke our family into pieces until we found an amazing doctor..Four years after he needs no medication and everything is in place at last.. I am not saying that it can happen to everyone, but i am saying that sometimes there are things that are stronger than science, because science itself comes from love..

love, Karim
Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Karim, I did some cognitive behavorial therapy and while the obsessive thoughts and compulsions are not completely gone, I've got them under control to the point where I might walk by and double check the door or fridge and peek back and see if I've unplugged the iron, but a ritual that took me two hours a day now takes about 15 minutes. Thank God. I don't think I could have survived many more years of the madness. I'm very glad for your brother too. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ccgirl: i've got to rush off to work, but i wanted to tell you i'm sorry if my comments were insensitive. I didn't mean to be insensative. A friend of mine has me suddenly developing his warped sense of humor, which isn't like me. I just wanted to appologize. I should not have been trying to relate to something i don't understand. I am glad to hear that things are better for you now though than they use to be. ((hugs))
jenna
Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Shutter; warped? I thought it was hysterical! I too, have a warped sense of humor,and I was happy I made you laugh!!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is a great thread.
Thanks for all who responded and thank you for the link to the other site - it was VERY helpful to me.

A tremendous amount of my low self-esteem is attributed to things I dealt with as a child - obviously - but when I was younger I suffered from trich and pulled out my hair. My parents were horrified and didn't think to seek me help. I thought I was a complete freak! This insecurity and inadequacy has only grown over the years. It wasn't increasingly bad as I got older, but I did hide it - one spot in the back of my head, under hair. Somehow word got out that I had a "bald spot" on the back of my head, when I was in highschool.

Kids are so mean. To top this off I kissed an upperclassman's boyfriend when I was a freshman and was absolutely terrorized by the grade above me. I was afraid to walk the halls- this has translated into alot of trauma, but during this time I was taunted again and just felt utterly defective. I now know that it is a disease and a very shameful one - on top of my other mental maladies - I just like to know I'm not alone and want to let others know the same.

I recently started on a low dosage of prozac to aid some of my anxiety and OCD symptoms. I think it may be making things worse -uneless the med is just ineffective and my symptoms have just gotten worse ? I don't know. I am very concerned about weight gain so that is my biggest factor in deciding on an OCD med. I will calla my doc today and try to discuss other options.