Changing Ourselves

Old 10-12-2007, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Changing Ourselves

You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning

...there are two entirely opposite attitudes possible in facing the problems of one's life. One, to try and change the external world, the other, to try and change oneself.
--Joanna Field

God grant us the courage to change what we can - ourselves. How difficult it is to let go of our struggles to control and change someone else. How frequently we assume that everything would be fine if only someone else would change. All that needs to change is an attitude, our own.

Taking responsibility for improving one's own life is an important step toward emotional health. Blaming another for our circumstances keeps us stuck and offers no hope for improved conditions. Personal power is as available as our decision to use it. And it is bolstered by all the strength we'll ever need. The decision to take our lives in hand will exhilarate us. The decision each day to be thoughtful, prayerful, and wholly responsible for all that we do will nourish our developing selves. Each responsible choice moves us toward our wholeness, strengthening our sense of self, our well-being.

I will change only who I can today: myself.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey © 1982, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Spot on Ann.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Something that helped me change "me", was the saying "If you can't change your circumstance, change your attitude."

Learning to take positive action for myself rather than living as a "reaction" to everyone else, was a huge change for me and one I will never regret.

Hugs
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Count the number of times the word "change" (or a derivative thereof) is mentioned on page 567 "A spiritual experience" from the Big Book of AA ...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

I will change only who I can today: myself.
When I find myself struggling with a circumstance I cannot change, it's like facing a brick wall, I must redirect my path or I can continue to waste my energy trying to break down the wall
btw...the wall doesn't feel a thing...