Notices

Panic

Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Well

Panic

I have spent the whole day in a constant state of panic. I had a really good anx. free weekend. Even yesterday was ok.

Today my face and arms burn. And I am trembling and I feel so cold, but I am sweating.

I can't function. I just want this to stop.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I´m sorry to hear that, Blue.

Breathe deeply to get your emotions under control, try going out for a walk or do some stretching movements.

Don´t rub your arms because they´re burning, just try as you can to stay calm.

This will pass, so just take every 15 minutes or half hour at a time.

Do you have a friend or a crisis centre you can contact? It´s sometimes very good to talk about your anxiety to someone.

Let us know, I´m here for you. I might go in and out, but will be working on a project at home this evening.

Don´t worry, it will all be fine.

Love and light,
Old 10-02-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Well

I feel better this evening. I got a job offer today and I am not sure if I will take it but I think having somewhere to go everyday would help. I don't know how well I would handle the stress though. I am not going to worry about it. I will just wait to see what happens.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you´re feeling better, Blue.

Congratulation on your job offer. I encourage you to take it, because it could really be an opening. You would be doing somewhere every day with a clear task and it would probably change the way you feel. You would become more optimistic as regular work gives you more self-confidence.

That´s what I think. You would soon get over the stress of handling work, that just fades away as you grow more confident. Also, it could lessen the anxiety, because you would be thinking of something concrete every day.

When I get an anxiety attack, I turn on my computer and start working. It is an excellent way to relieve panic attacks.

Love and light,
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Blue, Lil,

Something I need to share with you. Im in a bad way right now. Im so ashamed.

OMG! Im out of town on business with a few others in the company. We went out last nite and I relapsed big time.

Now Im having a really bad day. Im sick, hungover, feel like crap and panicky. Why, oh why, oh why do I put myself thru this.?????

I got up late this morning. I overslept (drunk as a skunk). The team leader called me at 7:25am this morning and woke me up and asked if I was on my way down to the hotel lobby. I was totally unprepared and they waited 20 min for me while I got dressed.

When I got in the van, i stank of booze, still.

The guys all laughed and teased me and joked about how I really got wasted last nite. They are forgiving and understanding. Good news is, they kept me from ending up face down in the gutter at nites end.

I missed the morning meeting. I was in the restroom puking and washing my face. Good thing no one was there.

I dont remember much after those vodka shots. Im ashamed of myself. I feel lonely, isolated, ashamed, sick, and disgusted.

I asked on coworker what I did last nite, he simply said, I didnt do anything illegal or immoral. Just sang karaoke very badly and puked on the floor of the bar bathroom. Other than that, i dont remember much. I guess its better than traveling alone and not having someone look out for me.

It happened before. I passed out in the hotel lounge and when I came to, the cops, and the paramedics were standing over me calling my name. I was covered in puke. They simply wanted to know if I was gonna be okay. The cops, i guess they were called as a routine. I asked, "what have I done?" They said nothing, good thing puking in the hotel lounge wasnt a real crime. Even the hotel didnt charge me for cleaning. (how nice).

Everyone was so concerned about me at the time, even the cops. The mater 'd even stayed in my room for about 4 hours and watched me while I slept to make sure I was gonna be okay. I'll never forget that.

Why am I telling u this? I need an ear to bend. Sorry about that. Im usually the one people like to lean on. I need to lean on someone right now. Forgive me.

Im rambling......sick.......ashamed......disgusted.

Thanks for reading this.

Im feeling really, really vulnerable.

Intro
Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Intro,

I´m sorry you you feel bad. Please stop beating yourself up about it. You cannot change the past - it´s over. The only thing you can do is to promise yourself that you will do everything in your power not to repeat the experience.

I used to get black-outs too. When I started in AA and went into therapy, my counsellor told me that my black-outs showed I had the disease real bad.

Now it´s the time to take positive action, talk to your conseilleur or sponsor in AA. Be good to yourself. Don´t feel ashamed talking to us, we´re here for you.

You´ll feel better tomorrow. Just let the day pass and take it one hour at a time if need be.

Let us know how you are.

Love and light,
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

intro,

I'm sorry about your relapse. Your co-workers probably don't understand the depths of the disease. Do you do meetings?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What do you think triggered your relapse. intro, hindight is mostly 20/20. Hugs to you I know how your feeling.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GailJ View Post
What do you think triggered your relapse. intro, hindight is mostly 20/20. Hugs to you I know how your feeling.
being out of town, not having a plan.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Was it the freedom of being away or the pressure of the expectaions of you the next morning
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Well

Intro,

I am very sorry. We all do things we later regret sometimes. You can not beat yourself up over it. That won't change it. All you can do is be sorry, and you are. And then try to figure out the lesson you need to take away with you.

Keep writing. Even for someone as weak as me it is nice to be able to be there for someone else when they need it. That is what has brought us all together here at SR.

We are here for you. Pick your self up, dust yourself off, and just keep going.

Big hugs,
Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GailJ View Post
Was it the freedom of being away or the pressure of the expectaions of you the next morning
honestly,

freedom of being away.

out with the guys bar hopping. lost control of drinking. i drank the heaviest among them all.

geez.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you now, Intro and Blue?

Intro, I hope you´re sleeping well. It will be good to get a distance from last night.
Hopefully next morning will be a new beginning for you.

Do you remember these old hippy phrases of the seventies: "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"? I like this one, because there is truth in it, although it´s a bit corny.

Blue, I don´t think you´re weak. You´re probably much stronger than you give yourself credit for, and you´re very giving.

Love and light,
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
Hope everyone is loving themselves. One of my favorite quotes by Wilhelm Stekel, an Austrian Psychoanalyst:

"Anxiety is fear of one's self"

I've noticed the more I try to be kind to myself the less anxious I feel. Just food for thought.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Even though this is blues thread thanks intro for your Honesty.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Afraid2,

Thanks for the quote! I like it, because it reminds me of Jung´s theory of the shadow aspect.

Could be that lots of the anxiety is a fear of our darker side. Maybe I get it because I´m afraid I will snap and start drinking again. If that would happen, it would be the last straw for me. It´s just a feeling.

Love and light,
Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't even know how to begin.... not only am I losing ground to the detox I went through a month ago, but my Enabling wife and I have come to the realization that "it's over" (because I have found someone more supportive, that will take no crap from me about drinking).

Everything is hitting me at once - I have to get two vehicles to my new home 400 miles away, and time is short here in Canada, the Rockies could get nasty any week now. I have packed one car about half-full (will drive there and fly back for the other and the rest of my stuff). But going through all the personal items - do I take this? Do I take that? has just brought me to a state of panic and anxiety.
(it's important to know that this marriage that is ending is THIRTY-FIVE YEARS.)

I get to where I actually walk into a room and forget why I went there - IN SECONDS! And yes, I am relapsing, because I just can't take the emotional horror that things have come to this. Two different crisies at the same time is a helluva lot to handle.

Any tips?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Tenpacks,

You´re probably overwhelmed by the changes in your life right now. It´s difficult to move, and difficult to take up a new way of life. You forget why you´re in a room because the mind is telling you there is too much pressure.

I would suggest you get in touch with a doctor or therapist at the detox centre. It would be too bad if you had a relapse just after the detox.

In my opinion, one month after detox is very soon to make such a big change in your life, although your wife is enabling. She could maybe work through her co-dependence by going to Al-Anon and/or therapy. We say in my AA: No big changes for at least six months, preferrably a year. We are so vulnerable just after detoxing.

I don´t mean to interfere in your love life, but take it one step at a time and discuss it with a qualified therapist and of course, your sponsor.

Good luck, let us know.

Love and light,