Notices

Keeping up appearances

Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping up appearances

Not exactly like the British sitcom.....

This is less humorous, and more somber.///////////

Same as usual.

Back in the office just after 5am. No one here, I can read and post for a while before the floodgates open.

When the day gets busy and the building is full of people bustling around getting work done, leaving for other worksites, assignments, projects, etc.

I often observe them one at a time and wonder.................What's he/she really going thru, if anything at all?

Are their lives normal or filled with the secret of alcoholism? anxiety? abuse? addiction? Heaven forbid, or worse???

How we may be so good at hiding our probs from others so we can get on with making our lives look normal in front of others.

Im doing that now...........sigh

Im thinking......."but they look so normal, healthy, happy..........how can there possibly be any problem??"..........

Statistics on depression and anxiety seem too broad I dare mention here.........besides, Im not qualified to post what I cannot confirm as reliable facts.

But, i cautiously say a great number of us suffer from some form of depression and anxiety. Sadly without seeking help or treatment.

I can only share how I feel on a regular basis, when I interact with others. I put on such a face.......Im "keeping up appearances".

Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I spoke with a co-worker who I thought might be going thru some mild depression. The warning signs were there...........isolation, sadness, lack of motivation, etc.

So I dont seem too direct about it, I approached with casual conversation, and before long, I was asking "so how's it going?"

At first, the wall went up. I decided to change the subject and try again later in the conversation. From a different angle, I asked subtley again, but used a leading question as to how things were going?

There was a long pause, no eye contact, but the response was as if to say, "well, if you really must know............"

From a middle-manager asking a subordinate employee, the person might have felt obligated to answer. As the story goes, there are major issues going on in this persons life.

After several mins of idle chit-chat, I offered my open-door policy of anyone wanting an ear to bend to feel free to just stop by.

I noticed several days later, the person seems slightly lifted and more productive.

I guess ya never know how much of an effect one could have on another who might be hurting, just by being there. Just a few moments of allowing a listening ear.

It makes me feel just as good, if not better.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friday's finally here.

Sleep went well last nite.

Looking forward to a pretty good weekend.

When I smile at someone today, I may actually mean it.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Well

I am glad to here you are feeling well Intro. Have a good weekend.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it too, Intro.

Isnīt it wonderful when the anxiety lifts?

Like being free again and new possibilities are everywhere.

I hope you enjoy the weekend.

Love and light,