Notices

Rapid Cycling

Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rapid Cycling

I'm bipolar, diagnosed 18 years, (pre addiction, so I know it's not a confused diagnosis)

Even on my meds, while not as dramatic, I STILL rapid cycle in moods. Sometimes I feel like giving up. My brain never, ever rests, I've tried hundreds of different combos of psych meds, and while the highs aren't as high and the lows aren't as low, it is extremely frustrating?

Can anyone relate?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

I cannot relate, but, I send my thoughts and prayers for you to find peace...

Shalom!
Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ccgirl,

I do understand that issues with mental health can be tiring and frustrating. I hope you don't give up in frustration. I have depression/anxiety, which, with medication, is pretty good. But, for many years, I tried so hard to be on the same playing field with 'normal' people and I came close to giving up. Just know that you are doing everything you can to take care of yourself. Are you able to meditate?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anna, meditation - Oh I wish I was able to. I've tried, really tried. Sometimes when I get overwhelmed I take a nap.

What you said about trying to be on the same playing field as others without mental illness really made a lot of sense. I constantly try to compare myself to "normal" people. I feel guilty that I can't handle as much pressure as so many of my friends.I guess I should go easier on myself. Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Hi CCgirl, i'm a rapid cycler, but I'm so use to it that i rarely notice the cycling...i just notice when i'm depressed.

Are bipolar I (struggle mostly with manias) or bipolar II (struggle mostly with depressions)? I've read that rapid cycling is most often associated with bipolar II.

What mood stabalizer are you currently on? would it be possible to raise the dosage ? Have you ever tried being on 2 different types of mood stabalizers at the same time?

Are you seeing a pdoc you are confident in? Have you thought of seeing a second one for a second opinion?

Theres a depression site kind of like SR that Liveweyered pointed me to that focuses only on mental illnesses and primarily those assciated with depression. So there is a specific forum devoted only to bipolar disorder.

I have found it a little more difficult to navigate, but it has TONS of info and the home page is http://www.depressionforums.org

The bipolar area is http://www.depressionforums.org/index.php?ind=bipolar

But the actual bipolar forum is at http://www.depressionforums.org/foru...p?showforum=31

Also....have you tried doing the number counting/pictureing meditation when your brain is going non-stop and keeping you from being able to sleep? Or progressive muscle relaxation as guided by an audio tape or CD? Both work really great! With any kind of meditation you have to continually work toward training your brain to not "wander" off, but mostly just the first 10-20 times you try it. Then, once your brain is trained, it's has become conditioned to the excersizes as being relaxing and it becomes much easier.

And if you do the meditations by audio tapes or CDs (that can be found online, at bookstores and other places) then many will tell you throughout them to let go of your thoughts, relax and listen to what is being said and to concentrate on that.

Hugs,
Jenna
Old 09-24-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey shutter! Thanks for all the wonderful information. I am II and depression is more of my problem. Currently I take 300 mg lamictal for my mood stabilizer. I'd never heard of taking more than one at a time! That certainly gives me something to talk to my psychiatrist about!