Notices

Lithium causing vomiting?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Lithium causing vomiting?

My mom was rx'd Lithium. A few times when she's taken it she has thrown up. She can't keep anything down once it starts. She has been on it off and on for maybe 3 weeks. She stopped taking it due to sleeping ALL day and feeling like crap. And she took one the other night and all day yesterday she threw up. Anyone else ever had this happen or know someone that had this problem?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If she is vomitting within 15 minutes of taking it, she may be allergic to it. Tell her to call the doc who prescribed it.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Call the doctor. I took it for a while and hated it. I believe lamictal is the doc for mood stabilizers these days. I take it. NO side effects.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone! She took it Thursday night and vomited all day Friday. She has an appt with her psychiatrist tomorrow. Hopefully, it will all get straightened out.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lamictal Rocks!

Tell you Mom she needs to look up Lamictal. NO side effects for me either....although in periods of intense stress it seems to stop working. But as a mood stabilizer..great! The only drug I have ever taken without side effects!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

yep...ditto the others. I tried Lithium for a week or two and also was constantly vomiting and dry-heaving (worst when i wasn't laying down). Seems a lot of people experience it. I've heard that it eventually passes, but i couldn't handle it long enough to see!

Ditto on the Lamictal also....best one i've tried and only few/slight side affects for some. It not only helped stabalize my moods (i'm bipolar II so I don't struggle so much with the extreme highs and pdoc explained that unlike Lithium and Depakote...Lamictal focuses more on the lows - which is what need most.) Also, my thinking was SO clear when i was on Lamictal (plan to go back on it soon....long story).

Only side-affect i noticed and that I read other people talk about who have been on it was acne. I already struggle with breakouts (especially when stressed), so the Lamictal made mine pretty bad....BUT it's better than gaining weight, vomiting, potential poisening from levels of Lithium buidling up too much in the body, or monthly blood tests needed with Depakote....and of course.....it's better than the severe mood swinging.

Hugs and best wishes,
Jenna