Notices

Part of a study

Old 09-15-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Part of a study

I have decided to be part of a study here at the Charleston, VA Hospital. They are working with the Medical University here. They are approaching PTSD on a number of points. I know, I'm like a guinea pig but, maybe it will help myself and others. Along with medication and treatment, they will study my DNA. They want to see if they can find a difference in those that have problems, and those that don't after trauma. They are dealing with not only combat PTSD but, PTSD in general. Having been involved in the medical field I'm a big believer in research. They have put me on Paxil and will evaluate me for about 8 weeks. Then if things don't improve they will add something called (Buspar?). The interview was difficult. I know you've all done it. Tell the same story you've told over and over. I did notice they asked the same questions over and over but, in different ways. Must have to do with validating the research. They do compensate me but, I'm more interested in being a part of research that someday might unlock the cures.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I think Buspar is the medical name for Wellbutrin...i think?

It's typical for any kind of questionaire involving emotions, feelings or opinions to ask the same question in different ways. Often people might answer differently because of the words used and their personal association with certain words. So if someone asked me:

Do you feel sad? I'd say on a scale of 10 being most sad...that i'm about a 4 right now

Do you feel depressed? Same sort of question (depending who you ask) but i'd say i'm at about an 8 or 9 on that scale right now.

What the researchers do is use those questions to get a "mean" score or basically an average score on the similar questions....gives a better picture dispite the fact that all people interpret words and phrases in slightly different ways based on their own experiences.

I too would like to be a part of a long-term bipolar study (just don't want anyone screwing with my meds for a study tho -- did that once before) but i've not found one yet.

hugs,
Jenna
Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just to add to Shutterbug's explanation-
For the study to be accurate the testers must be as objective as possible.

Their appearance might make you feel like not disclosing.
Their method of questioning might trigger a defensive position.

By approaching questions from different angles, they can almost see if you are reporting accurately, or inaccurately.

Necessary evil I guess when it comes to scientific studies. Tedious, but at least they pay!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

BuSpar is a mild anti-anxiety medication. I was on it before, and did well on it. Some people find that it does nothing at all for them; it doesn't have a good reputation in the medical field. Pedigogue gave a line here on this forum, that was pretty funny once, but, I can't remember it.
It's not Welbutrin, though, which is an anti-depressant. Totally different.

Good luck on the study, Don. Thanks for sharing with us. And thanks for being part of something bigger than yourself, that could help so many.

Shalom!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

That's right...darn my brain. My sister is on the Buspar for anxiety and now i remember looking up info about it to see if it would be good for me to try. Good grief my memory sucks lately.

sorry. and thanks Teach.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Don't be sorry, Jenna.
That's why we;re all here. To share information and learn from each other. Heck, I cannot even BEGIN to tell you what I've learned from YOU!!!
Thank you!

Shalom!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is so interesting Don! I will be interested in anything you learn...we are in baby steps here. Thank you.