Notices

I've been on Effexor XR since 8/10/07

Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I've been on Effexor XR since 8/10/07

Hi everyone. I hope all is well. I've been on Effexor XR since 8/10/07. I take it for Depression (even though I was diagnosed as Bipolar, I don't think that I am as I've NEVER been manic), Anxiety, and Obsessive Compulsive Diorder. I started at the 37.5mgs for a week and then went up to 75mgs as directed by my GP. Has anyone else taken this? If so, how long were you on it before you noticed that it was working? I know everyone's body is different but I would just like to hear from other people that are taking it or have taken it. I've been on pretty much every SSRI there is. Any info and stories would be very helpful.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Butterfly...it may take up to 6 weeks (as that is typical for any antidepressant).

I've been on Effexor for many years and have done better on in than any others. Check out "The Med Thread" at the top of this forum as there have been a LOT of posts and threads about Effexor.

I'm guessing your doc(s) have recognized hypomanic episodes in you which would qualify you at Bipolar II. That is what i am and i have never (to my awareness anyway) experienced a full-blown mania....only lots of hypomanias and very severe depressive episodes.

If you have been told your are bipolar....the best thing you can do for yourself and your future happiness is to read up on what that means. I didn't realize so much of my life had been dictated by an illness i had no idea about until i started reading about it. There are a lot of links on my Bipolar/Depression info journal.

Give the Effexor a chance....it hasn't had enough time to work yet.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by butterflylover View Post
I know everyone's body is different but I would just like to hear from other people that are taking it or have taken it. I've been on pretty much every SSRI there is. Any info and stories would be very helpful.
Just keep in mind that everyone's experience with SSRI's will be different, seems like you're aware of that.

After trying Lexapro, Zoloft, and Paxil, I finally settled in with 150mg of EffexorXR per day. It took about 8-10 weeks to feel "normal", until then I couldn't shake the feeling of having a head full of cobwebs. Sleeplessness was a major issue until I switched the times I took it. But once the effectiveness set in, I guess the best way to describe the effect is that my attitude and outlook on life felt "leveled off" rather than having the ups and downs of anxiety and depression that came on after I sobered up. A year after starting to take it I tapered off with zero side effects, and since then I feel great.

I think the biggest thing I should mention is how important it is to communicate with your prescriber. If necessary, keep a journal of how you're feeling so you can let your doctor know what specific problems you're having, or even to keep track of what you're feeling good about. It was necessary to increase my dosage a few times to determine an effective amount, if I hadn't been talking consistently to a nurse I might've thrown up my hands in frustration. Be open and honest with your doctor, it'll make it easier for him/her to find what'll work best for you.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me I find the side effects of the effexor much more managable than my previous med. Had a really terible time with Paxils(Seroxat).
I do need to have mine dosage increased as I am still on starter dose after six weeks and I am feeling the anxiety and P/A's coming back. Called P-doc today to schedule the appointment. But I do think it much better than the paxils at combating depression and the heart palps specifically.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm not gonna give up on it. I don't have any health insurance so my doctor said he could keep me in samples. I sure hope he can because I bet this med is expensive. Have a great day everyone! Any other input would be greatlt appreciated.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yep...expensive it is. I've had to pay 100 % cost for it all this year it's more than $100 a month. Right now i'm having to do it on a week-by-week refill basis and it's costing me about $34 a week (only slightly less than what i pay for my car payment each month at $167...actually with the Welbutrin i take too...i pay over $200 a month for my meds so that's definetly more than my car payment!!)
Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
yep...expensive it is. I've had to pay 100 % cost for it all this year it's more than $100 a month. Right now i'm having to do it on a week-by-week refill basis and it's costing me about $34 a week (only slightly less than what i pay for my car payment each month at $167...actually with the Welbutrin i take too...i pay over $200 a month for my meds so that's definetly more than my car payment!!)

I figured it would be. That sucks! I actually just got off the phone with my pharmacy and asked how much a month's supply of the 75mgs would be and what would the 150mgs (just in case the 75mg dosage doesn't help me) would be (just in case my doc runs out of samples). But, he said he could keep giving me samples. Well, it's $120 for the 75 mg and $140 for the 150mg!!! I couldn't believe it. That should be against the law to charge the uninsured like that or anyone for that matter.

Take care everyone. One day at a time.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yep...highway robbery the legal way (thru a pharmacy window).