Notices

Wellbutrin Questions

Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Wellbutrin Questions

Hi there, i started taking Wellbutrin (generic brand) last Thursday and Sunday upped it to 300 mg from 150 mg. I kinda feel crappy. I was wondering if that was normal in the beginning and i should just stick through it. I was reading on line different stories and side effects but i also think i'm freaking myself out more by reading. I feel a little uptight and i'm sweating a bit and just overall beat. I don't want to switch without giving it a chance and was wondering if those side effects go away over time and just get through the next few weeks. No appetite is the only good part!! My dr's nurse is calling me but just wondering in the meantime. Thanks everyone
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

sounds like you are experiencing the jittery affects some feel...kinda hyped up?

My question is: did doc tell you to start out 150mg and then double that a few days later? Ask the nurse if you can go back down to 150 for a couple weeks or more to let your body adjust....that's my suggestion. And just FYI, most anti-d's take up to 6 weeks before the full affects of the benefits are felt for the depression.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Thank you shutterbug....yes you said it! Jittery definately, perfect description. My friend was on it and she said that i should definately not give up and that she sees alot of people (at work) give up too soon. Yes, he told me to go double 3 days later and that seems to be when i've felt different.....gonna give it a whirl though!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah....hang in there if you can....and in the mean time stay away from caffiene as much as possible....as it will just add to the jitters.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Ooops thats true, never thought about that!! i'm jazzed enough on this!! I take it at 9 a.m. & 5 p.m. so i'm not up all night but i have needed a sleeping pill too at times, like last night!! Layed awake till 1:45.....so drained right now!!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I know exactly what you mean about reading too much about it.
It makes for more anxiety than you need.
I took it for about 3 months a year ago and had great results. The first two weeks are hard though, so just talk to your doc if you're having too hard of a time.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

thank you, i talked to the nurse tonight and she said just take the 150mg till i go back in on the 20th, i think he upped me too fast from everything i've read. Maybe by then i can go to 300mg but i thought i was going to die today at work much much better now and anxiety gone for now!! thanks again
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Heather...I started at the 150 level and was all jazzed up after a few days...Jitters galore and was pretty snappy for a couple of days too. But it only lasted a couple of days then it started evening out. For me the dosage helped the depression fairly quickly but after about 6 weeks, it seemed ineffective. That's when my doctor recommended trying 300 mg rather than changing meds. I didn't get half as hyped then and the change in dosage did the trick. Oh an unfortuantley, my appetite improved

Glad you got through to your provider. Hugs
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear nurse told you to go back down to 150 for a few weeks!

To me, this is a perfect example of why general physicians shouldn't be allowed to dispense head meds. If your insurance will cover it (it should be just the same as the co-pay or whatever that you do at the general docs offics) then I'd highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist. Most people won't do that because of the stigmas attached to seeing pdocs, but what most people don't realize is that depression is a mental illness just the same as any other ( and that usually the depression is a symptom of some larger root cause).

I would have given an arm or leg up (at least a finger) in exchange for being told all that in a way i could really grasp when i was in college and struggling with depression for the first time in my life!! it would have saved me SO much misery!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by hbb View Post
thank you, i talked to the nurse tonight and she said just take the 150mg till i go back in on the 20th, i think he upped me too fast from everything i've read. Maybe by then i can go to 300mg but i thought i was going to die today at work much much better now and anxiety gone for now!! thanks again

Glad you are going back down, that's a high amount to switch to that fast. I really like wellbutrin, but you have to let yourself get adjusted to it, and then you won't have those other things you mentioned. And going up to fast on wellbutrin can be scary for some and thats why a lot give up so soon. I think you'll be happier going up slowly.

My dumb doctor started me at 150 mg, of effexor and raised it to 300 in 3 days, I was a lunatic and so sick within the week, totally crazy. So I've learned to always check these things out. Cause I should have never had that happen, I guess they don't always think. lol

JMO...

Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Thank you so much for the information. I feel much better today, i think it was a combination of the Wellbutrin and a sleeping pill i too way too late the night before last.

Shutter, thank you so much too, i do go to therapy once a week that helps alot. I go to her today actually!

All everyone's help has been much appreciated! I feel much better today

sidenote: i think i was taking on everyone's side effects when i was googling the meds lol!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After many years of antidepressants, I not a fan of staying on these for life for me. The SSRI's got me through some very tough times but had some serious drawlbacks! Welbutrin is different and seems to help with anxiety and depression. I wouldn't have started on it if my situation wasn't desperate! It also makes smoking completly unrewarding. the 150mg. seems to work for me and I think I'll continue for a few months or so. all the best.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Do you think since i'm feeling much better today that i should go back to the 300 mg or do you think i should just stick with the 150mg till i see the dr. and get used to that dosage? My roommate is a pharmacy assistant and she told me that her patients all take the 300 and that i should go back to it today...but she's no dr.!! Maybe i should just stick with this till the 20th....i dont know what to do because i feel normal right now and not sure what to do.....
Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Heather....forget what the pharmacy assistant/roommate is telling you. She is in school for a reason and she is an assistant for a reason. This is YOU and YOUR body, not hers or "her patients".

You know what you felt like on the 300mg and it wasn't pleasant. You say you feel good now...why mess with that? Not everyone needs 300mg anyway! I was only on 150mg for a long time myself...so there's at least one person you now know of who didn't go straight to 300mg.

Isn't feeling "normal" as you feel now....the goal??

((hugs))
Jenna
Old 09-05-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Thank you, i did stick with the 150mg and i feel fine. I'll wait till my dr. appt. thanks for responding. I was confused as to the wellbutrin or the sleeping pill but i'll stick with what they told me thanks again, i really appreciate your help.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

glad to hear it....and....anytime.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Sounds like yall are describing the agitation I experienced with Zoloft and another SSRI,can't remember which one for sure. I was so agitated I was kicking my dog, screaming at my kid, really afraid I might hurt one of them. I've been on Welbutrin for about 9 months. Only side effect I've had has been headaches, but those disappated after the first few months. I've had good results with it.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Supercalifragilistic!

I wouldn't take Wellbutrin at 5pm. That's kinda late. Are you taking 150mg twice a day? Why not take 300mg once in the morning? that's how I take mine.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used wellbutrin and buspar when I hit a rough spot in my work and was experiencing panic attacks and some depression. 150 of wellbutrin was all I could handle ever because it made me uptight. just me.