Notices

Zyprexa?? and Weight?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Question Zyprexa?? and Weight?

My doctor just switched my meds to this. So far I have not read one good thing anywhere, anyplace, from anyone.

Anyone have any luck with this

and anyone "NOT" gain any weight, if he would have told me that I would have told him no in his office.
I will not be taking any weight gaining meds, and that's all I've read so far on this.

Arghh, I'm so frustrated.....
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Done;

I've no experience with Zyprexa, but, if it's an SSRI, they are pretty much known for weight gain.
Welbutrin is an anti-depressant that doesn't cause weight gain. But, it can cause anxiety. With me, it caused panic attacks.
I wish you luck. Tell your doc up front that you won't take anything known to cause weight gain. It will eliminate alot of going back and forth; expense; and frustration on both your parts.

Shalom!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I took zyprexa for a very short time. I don't think I took it long enough to see any weight gain. I have read the same things as you've found.

One site I like is crazymeds.com.

Just remember -- everyone reacts differently to meds. May be you should give it a try and if it doesn't work out then go back to the doc and try something else. Interestingly enough (and I know you're not on it any more) but I actually lost weight when I got on Effexor.

hugs to you!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Thanks to both of you.

Teach he knows all about my weight gain issues, that's why I can't believe he put me on this and still didn't bother to mention the weight part

Doll, I would rather die than gain a lot weight, I can't handle it, and I'd be back on meth so fast, so I won't be trying this one, no wayyyy.

I am going to call my doctor, just be glad you don't have to deal with me today,
I'm not a happy girl. I would hate to be my doctor, he's going to hear about this one.

I hardly ever get mad, but sometimes.....
Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Ok, fair enough.

At least you know your boundaries and stick to them.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Zyprexa is an anti-psychotic. What are you taking it for? My boyfriend recently took it while getting used to new bipolar meds, for about a month. He described the feeling of his stomach being a bottomless pit--no amount of food could satisfy him! Yes, he gained weight. Like any drug though, you have to weigh out the pros and cons.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

my brain has turned to mush about remembering most meds i've been on and what the deal was, but i believe this is one i tried, but can't remember it's affects.

I did gain weight on several drugs, specifically seroquel (prescribed for my mild paranoia), but I have done really well with not gaining anything on Effexor or Wellbutrin (both anti-depressants). If the Zyprexa is a mood stabalizer then ask your doc about Lamictal as an alternative. I did pretty well on it (better than any other mood stabalizer) and i don't believe there was any weight gain issues with it either.

Also, i know some have had issues like Teach mentioned about the Wellbutrin, but for me it's the opposite. When i miss several days of it is when my anxiety goes thru the roof. I hadn't realized how much it was helping me with the anxiety and with my AD/HD until then. I quickly got back on it.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

and I'd be back on meth so fast,
Well now that my little tantrum is over... I take that back.....
I wouldn't be back on meth so fast and that is part of why I
was so upset, I don't have that option anymore to just go do
some lines to lose weight if I gain it...
Meth is out of my life for good, I need my brain to catch up
with my reality I guess, cuz it just ain't going to happen,
No matter what I want...

I had a hard time losing the weight I gained when I quit meth,
and I'm doing fine now, so gawd, gaining weight like that is
teriffying for me.

And not to mention, I was totally honest with him, he's a brand new
doctor, the other one quit, so of course, he wants to change all my
meds, and of course he is quick to point out I can't lose any weight,
and how wellbutrin can make you lose weight, etc... He sure didn't
forget to bring up any weight loss topics, but he didn't mention a
word about weight gain. Come on now.... Give me a warning, and
I would have been okay and not shocked as one can be to read
how everyone gains 30+ pds. OMG!! That's just wrong..

I did call him today, and I was nice, but told him my concern and that
if I go and start gaining a bunch of weight my ed and bulimia are going
to be triggered in no time, or I'm scared of that.

He said forums and the internet aren't 'accurate', and people don't gain
30+ hardly ever. It was an 'okay' conversation. I'm trying to be adult
about this whole thing, and not a spoiled brat, lol.
I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

Shutterbug if you read this, I think I read that you hated this med.
lol, I read every thread on this last night....

Shutterbug were you in special ed classes when you were young for your
AD/HD? I'm asking because someone a "Professional" told me I didn't have
it because if I did I would have been in special ed classes when I was little.
I have never heard of this, and I have been tested for it before.

I was a little insulted, which is probably another reason for my little tantrum
yesterday and today.

But I'm over it...

There was a post in here that said that Zyprexa makes your fat cells grow and that is why you gain weight.... I've never heard that your fat cells can grow, anyone know if that's true?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by tracee1010 View Post
my friend has taken many anti-psychiotics, none of them worked until she tried Zyprexa.. but yes she put on about 40-50 lbs.

BUT.... is more stable than she has even been mentally. she finished her college degree and is working a professional job.

Do you know or have any idea what made her gain the weight? Did she start eating more?
I'm hearing the weirdest things about this stuff. That's a lot of weight to gain, Did she need to gain weight?

Sorry I probably need to let this go, I'm being really obsessive, I just don't know what to do, that weight gain scares me, but he also took me off my other meds.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i think fat cells can grow, but haven't a clue if meds can make that happen. I think it would be more caused by hormones, but again...haven't a clue there.

No, i wasn't in special ed classes, but i think it was discussed once b/c of my horrible spelling and math. I do know that i had to do a "special ed" type spelling class in the 2nd grade, where only a handful of us went into another room to work on spelling seperately from the rest of the class.

I actually wasn't diagnosed in school as having AD/HD. And it is so closely confused with bipolar disorder (the 2 being misdiagnosed for each other in 50 percent of cases studied) that i just talk about it like i have 2 seperate disorders as a way to help me seperate it in my mind and easier for others to understand. Truth be known...i haven't a clue if I am soley bipolar or also have co-existing AD/HD. But i know what the symptoms of both are and I deal with both on a daily basis.

People understand the symptoms of AD/HD as meaning difficulty with concentration and dislexia and procrastination and all that...and when people hear bipolar they think of the mood swings.

Heck, i even have a theory that one day the docs/researchers will realize that everyone with bipolar has co-existing AD/HD because it's just part of it. Although, it would still be possible to have ONLY the AD/HD and not the bipolar.

It's hard to explain my thoughts on this so i hope some of that makes sense.

BTW, my sister WAS diagnosed AD/HD and dislexia in school...and she didn't have to be in special ed classes either (and to this day she is now 28 and making twice my salary each year and struggles to spell many simple 4 and 5-letter words).
Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oh....and i'm glad to hear you are less upset at the moment, but it sounds like you've got a doc that isn't interested in REALLY listening to you....unfortunate that such docs exist out there even.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Done;

Whoever the "professional" was that told you ADHD students needed to be in sp ed classes was just plain ole WRONG! :nono:
The majority of ADD or ADHD students are in regular ed!

Jenna, I think your post makes wonderful sense. I personally think I have ADHD and have never been diagnosed. I don't think I'm bipolar though I agree that the two often overlap.

Done, if you don't think this doctor is listening, don't be afraid to get another, or another opinion. You owe it to yourself.

Shalom!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Done;

Whoever the "professional" was that told you ADHD students needed to be in sp ed classes was just plain ole WRONG! :nono:
The majority of ADD or ADHD students are in regular ed!

Jenna, I think your post makes wonderful sense. I personally think I have ADHD and have never been diagnosed. I don't think I'm bipolar though I agree that the two often overlap.

Done, if you don't think this doctor is listening, don't be afraid to get another, or another opinion. You owe it to yourself.

Shalom!
I'm not able to get another doctor. I'm stuck with this one. That's kind of why I was upset.

I totally agree about the ADD thing though, I told him, Lets just not talk about this.
and besides I've been diagnosed with it at Cedars before,

(and under my breath)
and compared to the office we're sitting in right now buddy? I don't think you should say much more.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Well, I tried this med for two nights, and I figured out the whole weight gain thing, and that never satisfied feeling. It's a lot like seroquel. Seroquel can do the same thing to you.

I didn't have any bad dreams when I took it, and I slept, but yes it made me hungry even after I was sleeping, and onto the next day. The first night after I took it , I felt so drugged.

I did much better on Ativan than this thing. Screw that food eating thing. No way am I going to be eating like that. He said we could try a "new" drug on my next apt.
But I'm done with "New Drugs" I thought about just staying on the Ativan, which he had said no to earlier, but whatever, which is what I've been taking for sleep for along time but just when I need it. But I decided I dont' even want that anymore. I am trying to just stay on the two that I am on now, and somehow deal with the little sleep I do get, and work on getting more sleep without more drugs. I'm so sick of pills to live, I'm not 80. And someone would think I was, by the amount of pills they give me.
I've been feeling so much better since I'm down to just the two pills, I can deal with the sleep problems better without all the drugs I'm finding.
The drugs they are giving me to sleep, are just making it harder to deal and they affect my mood and my sleeping etc..

Just thought I'd give an update. I had fun burning that Zyprexa!!

The nerve....
Old 08-25-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Done,

FWIW, I've always been told that very few meds out there actually cause weight gain. Some make you feel like you have more of an appetite, thus encouraging you to eat more, thus causing you to behave in a manner that will make you gain weight, but as far as taking the pill and automatically putting on ten pounds without adding calories to your diet, from what I've been told, it just doesn't happen. If you keep your portions in check at your meals, you should be fine. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"I'm so sick of pills to live, I'm not 80. And someone would think I was, by the amount of pills they give me."

Boy, do I know that feeling... my husband actually bought me a pill despenser so I could keep track (right now I'm at five pills a day)... and I'm only 24! I just hope and pray I can get my weight down so I can get off of most of them...
Old 08-25-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

The meds may not actually make you gain the weight, but some will make you feel like you need to just eat, eat, eat. That's the whole point, these pills disort what "Your Portions" are. Waking up after you are sound asleep to eat is not normal, and then wanting to eat all day, when you know you don't need too, and have 'never' been like that, That Will cause weight gain. Both seroquel and now Zyprexa have done that to me.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ah. I guess it's hard for me to distinguish that from the pills, b/c as a compulsive overeater, I've always felt that way, no matter what meds I am on or not on.

I hope you find something you like better!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by ladyamalthea View Post
Ah. I guess it's hard for me to distinguish that from the pills, b/c as a compulsive overeater, I've always felt that way, no matter what meds I am on or not on.

I hope you find something you like better!
Yea, I can totally see that. lol, For me, I never want to eat. I've alway been a light eater, even when bulimic I've never been a binger. My mom was like that. So when all of a sudden I want to eat Krispy Kreme and Baskin Robins at 3:00 am, that's like suicide to me. I can't handle that. I just don't even know what to do. I had huge issues when I got off of meth, and it's a huge reason I relapsed so many times, because you are so hungry and you gain so much weight. But I finally got past that.
So I'm like oh gawd, don't put me back in that nightmare... It's scares me so bad...
lol, as if that's not obvious... I grew up w/food being a bad thing though, so it's that part too, I have a hard time even eating..
Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Geez, sometimes I would give anything to have your problem with food instead of mine...

It's so hard being 275 pounds at 5ft 2, and knowing you have so much weight you need to lose... or risk cutting your life short, not to mention not being able to have children like I want to... and something as simple as buying shoes is such a challenge when your feet are as wide as mine b/c of all your extra fat!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I'm just feeling a bit down about my weight tonight anyways... so I'm letting things get to me that shouldn't.

And I'm actually editing this now b/c I look at what I said and I realize how it looks. I don't really wish that I had bullimia or that I didn't want to eat... I guess what I meant is that I wish I didn't have my binging problem... please don't be offended, hopefully you knew what I meant.

Last edited by ladyamalthea; 08-25-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: hindsight is 20/20