Notices

Scratching...

Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Scratching...

Hello, I'm Cat. I have been dealing with with my anxiety disorder since I was a little girl....there have been good years and bad years. I havent been on meds or seen a psychiatrist in a few years, and I have a new problem: scratching.
I can't stop. I don't even see a connection between my anxiety level and the scratching. I just scratch, a lot, even if I'm telling myself to stop I can't. This happens a couple times a day. Has anyone ever experienced a compulsion similar to this? What does it mean, what will help me stop?
Thank you.

~Catalina
Old 08-12-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cat,

Im no expert on this one, but ur possibly OCDing.

Is it that ur actually feeling itchy? Or no?

It may be something physiological to the anxiety. Just a guess.

Are u seeing a dr or therapist?

Professionals like these should be helpful.

Intro
Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, Intro, I dont itch. I just scratch and scratch. Everyone has been telling me its a sign of OCD, so I'm considering going back to my psychologist about this, before it gets out of hand.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catalina View Post
Hello, I'm Cat. I have been dealing with with my anxiety disorder since I was a little girl....there have been good years and bad years. I havent been on meds or seen a psychiatrist in a few years, and I have a new problem: scratching.
I can't stop. I don't even see a connection between my anxiety level and the scratching. I just scratch, a lot, even if I'm telling myself to stop I can't. This happens a couple times a day. Has anyone ever experienced a compulsion similar to this? What does it mean, what will help me stop?
Thank you.

~Catalina
hello, i have itching as well, it is an every night thing? i take benadryl for it. my husband thinks im addicted to it. i don't know. i have also been told i have ocpd. is this itching something to do with that? have you heard anything about it? im just looking for someone like me.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,

Compulsive scratching is well known in France under T.O.C (Troubles obsessionnels compulsifs). It´s considered one of the pathologie of anxiety and can be dealt with by using CBT.

Scratching becomes a repetitif ritual to get rid of anxiety. There must be a term for it in English. Try searching the Internet under Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

Good luck,
Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi cat,

my anxiety goes back to childhood as well! i used to cry in the morning before i even got out of bed! just hearing the birds singing as the sun came up would make me cry. i have never understood it.

i also have my own version of scratching. my psychiatrist said i have a hyperactive brain and to just stop doing it. i pick at scabs on my scalp all day every day! sometimes it really hurts but i keep doing it and wonder if it's ocd or a strange form of cutting.......i've been doing this since childhood as well. i must have a million scars on my scalp. if i ever have cancer and take chemo and my hair falls out, the whole world will know!!!!!! yikes!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good news: less scratching now that i'm not drinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

I have eczema really bad & it keeps getting worse & worse. I cannot control the scratching. I also notice that I pick at the scabs as well. I have noticed that when I am talking to people, I automatically start to scratch my hands or my arms whether or not I am itchy. This post confirms that it is linked to my anxiety. I think some of it is allergy related as well as when I take claritin or benadryl, it is better.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i have mood changes based on time of day and compulsively pick scabs. I'm real scarred up from that
Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do that as well. I was "picking" as I was reading this thread. My husband calls me a constant fidgeter, and it is getting worse, not better. I need to get back on meds.