Notices

Need advice from a psychiatrist or doctor

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice from a psychiatrist or doctor

I am new to this site, and am only 62 hours sober from a constant nightly alcohol binge that has lasted 15 years. No one but my partner knows, and I'm very ashamed. He is embarrassed as well.
I am unemployed, and have coverage through my husband.
I have never admitted to being an alcoholic to anyone but him.
I want to stop, and am committed. I know there is most often no reason for alcoholism, and may people look for an excuse.
I wonder however if I have been self-medicating?
I have always felt depressed - even as a child before I discovered that drinking to pass out settled my anxiety, depression and insomnia.
I don't know how this works - I want confidentiality, even from my husband...but it's his plan and he gets the bills and statements. Can I see someone? Who or where should I go? Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice?
He thinks this is just pure lazy selfishness, and does not believe in psychiatry. Can a doctor's visit help me? I'm so loathe to admit either alcoholism or addiction to anyone publicly...but maybe I need to in order to get better.
Advice?
Please help me.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nobody,

Lots of support here. In my opinion, a dr's visit highly recommended, both for the alcoholism and the anxiety. That is an important first step.

Consider AA meetings, visiting the 'Alcoholism' forum on this website, visit the 'Newcomers to recovery' forum, and read the 'stickys' at the top of all forums.

Keep reading and posting. You will learn a lot with help and support of the good folks here.

Intro