Notices

dr asks: "How are you doing?" I don't even know

Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
doing nothing

dr asks: "How are you doing?" I don't even know

I have my third dr appointment tomorrow for depression. First one he prescribed my Lexapro, second one two weeks later he renewed the script. It's been six weeks since that visit and I don't even know how to answer the simple question he'll ask me tomorrow:
"How are you doing?"

I am not doing well. I may be better than when I called to make my first appointment eight weeks ago, I felt backed into a corner and I had no other choice than to admit it and try to get any help. I guess I am a tiny bit better than I was then, maybe. Or maybe not, perhaps I am just more used to this place now.

He'll ask if I am feeling suicidal, I'll reflexively say "no". I am certainly not actively entertaining the idea of offing myself, but I am perpetually plagued by the nagging thought of "Who needs this crap" in reference to where I am in life right now.

I am afraid of that maybe I am "better" and if I make the doc think otherwise he'll switch meds or something and I'll get worse.

All I do know is that I sure have a lot of undeserved anxiety about this for somebody that is taking an anti-anxiety medication everyday.

Has anybody ever had their medication go bad? The recommended temperature for storage is what 77*F, it gets into the mid 90's in my home everyday. It just seems like all three times I have gotten a new bottle of Lexapro, it works better for the first couple days then it loses it's freshness/effectiveness. Maybe this is in all my head too.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

i personally am not fond of Lexapro and have known few who have gotton much better on it....and yet it seems to be the first one every doc dishes out.

I wouldn't worry about the temperature or if it's bad. It's probably fine.

It sounds to me that the doc changing your meds might not be such a bad thing, but this is obviously just one personal opinion from someone who dislikes Lexapro so much that it came down to me either taking it (or lying about it) or being dismissed from the state free clinic b/c the new un-educated psychiatrist refused to prescribe me any OTHER med besides it...and it's not like there's not hundreds out there to choose from!

So i'm obviously biased based on my own experience on it and of the people in my life i've known to get on it.

Most importantly....i'd like to make sure you are being treated by a clinical psychiatrist? Psychiatry is such a complicated thing that even the best of the best p-docs are constantly re-evaluating things. General physicans just aren't equipped to properly treat depression and other mental issues.

That said....I'd suggest you print this and take it with you to your next appointment. Hand it to the doc and let him read what you wrote. That's often the easiest way to express our true thoughts and feelings.

hugs and welcome,
jenna
Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, slacker, and welcome to our forum!
Jenna has given you great information. I cannot add any more but my welcome!

Shalom!