Free From The Grip of Ego

Old 06-28-2007, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Free From The Grip of Ego

There is much more to life than merely serving your ego. Those things that seem like failures to the ego, are pure opportunities for raising your awareness to higher, more fulfilling levels.

Experiences your ego would never allow will connect you to what you sincerely desire. Feelings, thoughts and actions that go beyond yourself show you who you truly are.

Anxiety, fear, worry and doubt are all devices that your ego uses to hold you back. Stop being a slave to ego, and you are free to live without limits.

By appealing to your ego and cooperating with it, others are able to control your life. Yet when you let go of your ego's concerns, you can freely live to fulfill your own true purposes.

Why would you wish to be a slave when you can choose to be the master of your destiny? Why would you let ego hold you back when there are so many great things you can accomplish?

The best thing you can do for yourself is to live your life beyond yourself. Let go of your ego's incessant pleading, and discover a whole new wonderful world.

-- Ralph Marston

Copyright ©2007 Ralph S. Marston, Jr.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How true Ann.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann.

Y'know, this is such a good summary of what has been holding me back a lot recently. I feel like I've really backslid into the state where my ego is in contol - and for this alcoholic, that's a very dangerous place. I feel like I'm dragging myself through mud up to my midriff! Except, lol, it's all in mind! And I crave that feeling of liberation that I had for the first few years of sobriety, even though that was coupled with so many emotional ups and downs. But that liberation from the constant demands of the Self, it was such a joy after so many years of incessant self-chatter. And it comes out in so many different ways for me - judgement and inventory taking, self-pity and self-criticism, resentments and fears.

But as we know, knowing something, and acting to undo it are two quite different things. That's what I'm struggling with just now. But one day at a time, one meeting at a time, one opportunity to practice tolerance, acceptance and gratitude rather than nitpicking, wilfulness and cynicism at a time, it either gets better, or it doesn't get any worse.

Back to my Just for Today card, I think. "Just for Today, I will be happy".

Have a good day Ann and Indigo. Whatever your lovely spirits settle on today will be better for it.