Notices

Need advice (long thread)

Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice (long thread)

A few weeks ago I basically said "screw it" and started drinking again after 8 years and 8 months sobriety from alcohol. There have been several personal stressors lately which helped to trigger the relapse (no excuse though), plus I just got tired of the state of the world and trying to act like things will ever get better, personally or globally.

But really, it was a mostly hellish period of sobriety, filled with more dissappointment and loss than the time when I was drinking before.

Looking back on the time I was sober, I CANNOT honestly say that my life got better - besides losing the obvious physical and mental pain that goes with addiction. In those 8+ years I ruined 3 (yes 3) marriages, have drifted around constantly, lost contact with my kids (who I dearly love), and mostly annoyed everybody I have come in close contact with to such a degree that they never want to talk to me again. Basically, I feel like worse of a freak sober than not.

I know I have something going on other than addiction, but I don't know where to start, who to trust, and what to do to find a diagnosis. I have been diagnosed (beginning in my early 20's) with ADHD, bi-polar, OCD, dysthymia - depending on the physician I talked to, and what seemed to be the "en vogue" condition from the medical literature during that particular time. I also suffered a considerable amount of head trauma (different incidents) when I was younger.

I have taken meds before, with little success. Lithium (lowest possible dosage) kept me calm, but I also slept 12-hours a day, and frittered my life away - no job, little productivity around the house. Depakote didn't really seem to do much of anything that I remember, except maybe produce some obscure buzzing sound in my head. Prozac pushed me to the edge of psychosis. Dexedrine worked FABULOUSLY, but my tolerance built up so fast, it was worthless after a few weeks, unless I agreed, based on the doctor's advice, to become a speed freak (which I didn't). Wellbutrin landed me in the ER room with extremely dangerous heart rhythms.

I'm very, very sick of being a nutty, flighty, counter-productive person who depends on the good nature of others to survive, but am not sure how to go about figuring out what is wrong with me, and if there is possibly medication that will help me become a decent, whole person. I tried long-term, stone-cold recovery, and it didn't work for me. I was a mess, and still am (now in the process of destroying marriage #5).

Anyway... I know that was a rant, but I would love to hear any advice or stories or suggestions from people who may have been through similar circumstances. Tell me what you did to get better, if you don't mind.

I'm tired of living this way. Really.

Last edited by etherial; 06-14-2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome!!! I am a big fan of Lamictal. I get no side effects. I am a big believer that in order to get alcoholism under control, the under lying issues need to be addressed. The right meds. are important as well as therapy of some type. I would first off find a doc. that u feel comfortable with. Not a label happy doctor as u have dealt with, find someone u wants to know U. Keep posting and don't give up on treatment.......
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words

It's really amazing, when I look back on it, that I didn't drink for 8+ years, given the roller-coaster ride my life has been in that time.

I'll check out Lamictal. I'm not familiar with it.

PS - I wouldn't mind a lable, if it was a correct one, that covered all the problems I'm having and led to a reasonable solution. So far though, that hasn't been the case.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

...I CANNOT honestly say that my life got better - besides losing the obvious physical and mental pain that goes with addiction.
And that's not enough reason to stay sober?
You said you made a choice to start drinking again. It was a bad one. And it won't help you discover whatever the underlying problem is. Alcohol will only mask the problem.

It may take much time to find out exctly what's the full problem. And you may never get a lable that sticks. What's a lable anyway? Isn't true that you really want to live in peace? If so, then you've got to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

I know when I do things for myself, I feel better. I have to take care of myself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Even when I don't feel like it. Even when I don't want to get out of bed. I'm not always good at doing them, but, it's what works. Those are the things that will keep me on the right path for my mental health. I hope you find your way...

Shalom!