Notices

benzodiazepines - long term effects

Old 04-15-2007, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

benzodiazepines - long term effects

I understand that they are addictive. I wondered though, are there any long term effects of benzos? If you drink in moderation, you likely won't suffer from liver damage. You drink everyday, you will likely need a new liver at the age of 50. Apply that to benzos, and what happens? I saw a post on another board basically saying "They are addictive, but you could take them for the rest of your life and nothing much would happen." I don't believe this, since there's no science to back up that claim, but I wonder, is it possible to live the rest of your life on benzos without any significant problems?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Again, I would think a pharmacist would be the person to ask.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by screen_name View Post
Again, I would think a pharmacist would be the person to ask.
The pharmacist isn't the one handing out the medicine. It's the doctors nurses and they turn to the doctor for the answer. At that point the doctor says "Don't worry, you think too much."
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
3yrs and struggling

as benzo's are addictive i would of thought that longterm use as with anything addicive would lead to increased amounts needed over a period of time to relieve your anxiety.

also your anxiety will become worse because your brain will try to overpwer the benzo's and in the end you will probably end up with worse anxiety than you started with plus a benzo addiction to maintain just stop you going into withdrawl ontop of your anxiety.

i'm not a doctor or anything,i just thought i'd add mine and my friends experience and knowledge.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I mentioned that to my doctor. I actually tried asking my doctor about it. He said that he's had patients who have been on a minimum dose for years and years and that they haven't needed to increase their dosage. I think he expects the benzos to be able to give me control over my life, and once I maintain a certain amount of control, withdrawing from the need of benzos will become easier.

Yesterday I gave myself the day off. My first WHOLE day off without worrying about any kind of work. I haven't had this kind of day off in about 4 months. I went the entire day without the need for a single dose. The only time I needed benzos was right before bed and even then, it was a smaller dose than the day before.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear DaVinci2,
I have managed to cut my dose of Valium or Diazepam down to one 5mg tablet in the last two evenings, & I'm planning on doing the same tonight...
My mental state has improved immensely, in the last 3 days or so, since I mended the rift I had with my mother...Finally the lines of communication are open between my mother & myself...
Despite the fact that I have ceased taking Zoloft, for close to 2 weeks, as of Sunday, which is only two days away, I am feeling a lot more positive & sound in my mind & my thoughts....

God Bless you DaVinci2, I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers, my friend....
Old 04-20-2007, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That sounds like a really fast taper IMO. Wouldn't you benifit more from a slower taper, like cutting them into quarters and reducing them over the course of several weeks?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaVinci2 View Post
That sounds like a really fast taper IMO. Wouldn't you benifit more from a slower taper, like cutting them into quarters and reducing them over the course of several weeks?
Dear DaVinci2,
I didn't stick to my goal of only taking a 5mg dose of Valium or Diazapam last night, as I ended up taking 10mg of the Benzo instead....
I am going to try & manage my anxiety a little better from now on, & try to keep to my plan & take only 5mg of Valium each night & slowly taper off them....

My goal is to only use Benzos when I get very anxious or have a panic attack....
I'm really having to rely on my faith in God, & ask him to get me through the evenings, but sometimes, because I am only human, I neglect my prayer life, even though I find peace of mind when I do take time out to talk to my Heavenly Father or read my Bible....

God Bless you, DaVinci2 & thanks for the wise advice...

Last edited by Spacecat; 04-20-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Poor Sentence Structure...