addictive personality=sweeteners=migraine?

Old 04-07-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addictive personality=sweeteners=migraine?

This might seem like a frivolous topic, but I'm curious if any of the members of this community have had similar experiences. I'm an addictive personality, and become addicted to various kinds of substances/behaviors at the drop of a hat. I've always had a sweet tooth, for example, and when I gave up alcohol, I seemed to want sweets still more. Since I don't want to gain weight, I've used Splenda (sucralose) for several years, in fairly large quantities. Then last night I have a migraine headache, during which I would have welcomed death as an alternative. I finally took some Midrin which saved me, and as I recovered (still a bit shaky this morning) began reading about artificial sweeteners and migraine. Apparently some people feel that this is a real cause of some migraine headaches, and I was wondering if anyone had anything to add here.

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Healthy sweet = Stevia. Unhealthy sweet = Sugar and Artificial Sweetners.

If you want to enjoy sweet in a harmless manner get some Sweetleaf Stevia and use it as a replacement for sugar and artificial sweetners.

Say goodbye to empty calories, fat, and brain problems which come from the use of sugar and artificial sweetners and enjoy sweet naturally in a healthy guilt-free way .
Old 04-09-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stevia?

Do you use the stevia just like sugar? Is it granulated? Is it a good alternative for children too? A lot of people believe the ADD kids are affected by sugar intake. I guess I'll have to Google this! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I do. It's great. Stevia is just the root of a plant. It's all natural. It comes in little packets just like sugar. I use it just like sugar in cooking, ice teas, the whole bit. Diabetics use it because they can't take sugar. Good stuff imo.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I truely believe that artificial sweeteners do cause headaches. I used to think it was just the caffine but then I switched to caffine free diet coke and still, if I drink too much, I get a blazing headache. Years ago when I was drinking iced tea by the bucketful, my doctor AND my dentist both told me to stay away from Aspartame as it is bad for the teeth and body....I still drink my diet cokes, but mostly hit the water bottle and I have noticed that my migraines have been a lot less frequent.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check out the Sweetleaf Stevia sold at RiteAid.

Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
I truely believe that artificial sweeteners do cause headaches. I used to think it was just the caffine but then I switched to caffine free diet coke and still, if I drink too much, I get a blazing headache. Years ago when I was drinking iced tea by the bucketful, my doctor AND my dentist both told me to stay away from Aspartame as it is bad for the teeth and body....I still drink my diet cokes, but mostly hit the water bottle and I have noticed that my migraines have been a lot less frequent.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

go to google and type in "can sugar cause migaines". Click on the first unsponsored link. There is a great article on the effects of sugar to your body
Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Angry

I too have suffered from migraine headaches, but for what it's worth, I have always avoided sweeteners, preferring real sugar instead. I've gotten better at noticing the migraine right away and treating it before it gets bad, but if I just ignore it because I'm too busy or whatever, it becomes worse and usually ends in nausea.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cannot identify with the sweetners and migraines but I can certainly identify with the "addictive personality" thing.

I am currently battling an addiction to my tv remote control....
Old 04-14-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Algebra 101 for sugar and artificial sweetner victims: Stevia > sugar and artificial sweeners. It's that simple.

For tv remote control: Gym > tv remote control.

lol.. Try them both.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi stoic... glad you brought this topic up. i have that same type of addictive personality, and in the two months that i've been sober i've developed quite a taste for Diet Coke, and drink more pop in one day than i ever have in a whole week... maybe two weeks!! (but hey, its not alcohol!!) i drink maybe two or three Diets a day, maybe four. i've noticed that i'm getting headaches, not migraines, but annoying. not sure if there is a link?? i haven't read any replies yet, but hopefully will find some info...

thanks for the thread!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm surrounded. Try Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia Stevia.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never heard of Stevia. Where's it sold? I have used seriously rediculous amounts of equal and splenda for years. I go through a box of 200 every week. (This is somewhat common amongst anorexics.) It's never given me a migrain, though.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear anything artifical is not too healthy for a human body such as
margarine becuase the body dosn't really know how to process it, so
it stores up fat or more fat in the long run.
Saturated fat or additives will give longer shelf life for a product,
but not too healthy for a human's body.

Didn't really want in trun into a health nut case, but I'm more aware
of reading labels or comprehending it better.
i don't snack that much to begin with, i still try to eat natural fruit
and vegetable. I take vitamines sometimes, but really into pop'in pills.

Too much sweets or suger will also lead to diabetes
While heavy dozage of suger in my AA coffee help in my earliy reocvery.
I developed low bloode suger level or hypoglycemia running on caffeen with
my suger every morning at work, without eating brekfast.

I hate needles..I hope i don't develope diabetes.

A good diet, proper excercise, and a little bit of prayer here and there..
It's hard for most of us..I'm still not good at it.
I belive that's the type of life style recovery speak of, also.

The remote...I just love that remote cntl. I flick the damn channels just
for the sake of flicking it.lol
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Too much of anything cant be good for me.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I LOVE Stevia. Its an excellent product. I too gave up artifical sweetners. Holistic Dr. Andrew Weil says stay away from them! He's concerned about health concerns (the ones that the maker doesn't tell you about!). My doctor told me to stay away from diet soda as it drains the calcuim from bones. So if you guys are drinking diet soda...pump up on the calcuim supplements.

I buy my Stevia at Whole Foods...if you happen to have one near you... I imagine most health food stores would carry it as well. Also try:

http:\\stevia.com