Notices

Does hypochondria/anxiety go hand in hand?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does hypochondria/anxiety go hand in hand?

I'm sure many have seen my posts where I worry about the little things. Hypochondria, from what I understand, is a real illness all on it's own. Is it possible that most with panic attacks/anxiety, also develope a mild to moderate (Or sometimes in my case, severe) form of hypochondria? I find that every little thing that happens to my body I've got to figure it out quickly. If I don't have the reason in front of me, I get anxious. Maybe this is something I should bring up with my doctor.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dunno. I do know that anxiety causes one to view everything in the most negative possible light, so that could be what you're experiencing.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hypochondria can be one of multiple symptoms of anxiety. It is also called "catastrophizing" where anything that happens in your life suddenly gets warped into the worst case scenario.

However, with hypochondriacs, they don't worry that they have something wrong, they KNOW they have something wrong. And their anxiety is only about health, not about other issues as well. It is also baseless - as in, there wasn't anything which really started them thinking about something being wrong with them.

If you're catastrophizing only about your health, then you may want to talk to a therapist about it. If you catastrophize about other things in your life, then I would guess (not knowing you and not being a professional psychologist/psychiatrist) that is is merely one more symptom of the anxiety.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am catastrophizing about my health I suppose...that's the only thing that worries me.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A few years ago I went to a psychologist who specialized in anxiety disorders. He had a pamphlet that listed the various ones. Besides the usual phobias (fear of flying, etc) also listed was general anxiety, panic disorder, and yes, hypochondria. He believed that hypochondria is an anxiety based disorder, one that the patient focuses on their bodily functions.

There is a wonderful book by Carla Cantor called "The Phantom Illness" It is about psychosomatic illness. I highly recommend it.

But DaVinci, also realize that this could be a passing thing for you, based on your very real health issue.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Panic and anxiety cause free-floating fear. When we have free-floating fear we tend to find something to project that fear onto. In your case you are probably projecting the fear onto possible physical problems. A lot of women who are going through menopause also go through the fear of terminal illness with their hormone changes. I think you have both issues going on with the medication you are taking to adjust your estrogen levels and your panic attacks.

Lucinda Basset has a very good attacking anxiety and depression program. If you can somehow come up with the money to purchase the CDs I think it would help you a lot. You can find the program at stresscenter.com
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

I'm only 20 years old and I've been scared of so many things since I was a little girl. I'm pretty sure I'm a hypochondric. But I will find out in May once I go see a therapist. My doctor says seeing a therapist and taking my meds which is (lexapro) I will get better. I sure hope so. I hate living the way I do... being the way I am. Scared of alot of things more than what any normal 20 year old would be.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amanda930 View Post
I'm only 20 years old and I've been scared of so many things since I was a little girl. I'm pretty sure I'm a hypochondric. But I will find out in May once I go see a therapist. My doctor says seeing a therapist and taking my meds which is (lexapro) I will get better. I sure hope so. I hate living the way I do... being the way I am. Scared of alot of things more than what any normal 20 year old would be.
I'm scared of just my health really. I don't worry about money, people, work...it's the fear of having a stroke or heart attack that freaks me out and sets me off.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DaVinci, one of the things in Carla Cantor's book says that hypochondria by itself is not common. It usually goes hand in hand with other disorders, usually depression or anxiety. Many believe it IS an anxiety disorder. So, while you don't worry about money or things like that, your anxiety seems to focus on your health, although if I remember from some previous posts that you have some social anxiety issues too.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What would social anxiety be? Is that where public places create bad feelings?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

I to am only scared of my health... I'm scared of dying and I'm scared of losing someone close to me. My mom or girlfriend.... its a horrible feeling. I'm always telling people I have a tumor or I'm dying....
Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hypochondria is probably not what you are feeling. I know that personally in the fight or flee sympton of panic some, like myself create panic *flee* when physical aliments errupt. Example..... me- headache all day - panic mind will obsess to the point of panic or anixiety attack
People without panic will not think twice about the headache...pop an advil and go on
hypochondriacs will assume certain medical condition and will seek treament and tests.

This is is OCD of panic... we obsess on small things..... that is my two cents....and edxperiance from dealing with this
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear BeginTheBegin,

I can relate to what you posted, BeginTheBegin, as I suffer from Asthma & I've been getting paranoid lately that I am going to have a severe Asthma attack from taking Xanax....
I believe that my Asthma is only caused by stress & contributed to, by my Tobacco habit & is somewhat psychosomatic in nature although I suffered a great deal of Asthma as a child, I think it was triggered by my troubled childhood & upbringing, & my illness was never serious or life-threatening....
Anyway, a while ago, after reading a blurb from the pharmaceutical company which manafactures Xanax which advised me to tell my Doctor if I suffer from acute Asthma, I proceeded & followed this advice...
I told my Psychiatrist that I suffer from Asthma, & he gave me the okay to start taking Xanax, as he said that a lot of those warnings in pharmaceutical company information pamphlets on possible side-effects, don't always affect every patient....
I requested a prescription for Xanax in order to have a break from Diazapam or Valium...
I wanted to take an alternative Benzo to Diazapam to prevent me from building up a tolerance to Valium or Diazapam & getting dependant on it....
I want to go back on Valium, personally, but I can't get into to see my Psychiatrist until late next month, which is a bummer, as he is on leave again...I guess I'll manage to cope....

God Bless.....