Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

anyone here been to anger management I have some questions.

Notices

Old 03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I recently PMed an admin requesting an anger management forum be made and was told that was not gonna happen (didnt say why I have my theories as to why but we wont get into that)

anyway I have an anger problem and I am able to admit it, it is not NEARLY as bad it is was a few years ago but it is there.

I am professeed to my mom that I would be willing to go to anger management but first I have to find out a few thingsnamly

is anger management like rehab in that you have to go for a specific period of time say 3 months cause if so thats no good for me cause I have to gregister for college and may have to do upgarding and if I have to upgrade I dont know how long that will take.

#2 what are the teacherss like? I saw an epsiode of king of the hill where hank was forced to go to anger management and his teacher had him petting imagenary cats and saying stupid little prashes. Is that the way it is cause if so thats just gonna make things worse

also if I am able to go am I in for 20 questions cause I HATE answering stupid questions.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From my understanding, it isn't 'in-patient', but more of a group setting where you have meetings. They may be 'open' groups (where people can come and go from week to week), or they may be 'closed' groups (where the people attending stay the same, typically they have a set # of sessions because they work a certain program).

Just something to think about......I'd look at your rigidity and need to set your own pre-determined 'standards'. You also seem to have conditional acceptance (I will only do XYZ, if you do ABC, if not....it is your fault, not mine). Regardless of what is available out there, unless you are open to new ideas and accepting that you don't have the answers for everything......you will just be wasting time.

Just my 2 cents.

-p
Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Hey King!!

I hear ya on the anger thing. I stuff mine and am usually all depressed. I am actually afraid of my anger itself. Cause usually I would let anger build up and eventually explode on an innocent person.

Now I try to detach mentally from people that irk me because number one, I dont want to give them power over me and number two because I refuse to play the role of the oversensitive victim.

But I got to tell you, for me as a recovering alkie, anger is absolutely nothing I can handle.

When I find myself getting churned up I try to calm myself down, take really deep breaths and remember that 50 years from now no one will give a shyte.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also forgot to add that even if I wanted to go, I dont know where to go here in fort mcmuarry
Old 03-25-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Call the local mental health clinic.
They can set you up with a counselor who will either see you privately or will have group sessions for you to attend. Perhaps both depending upon your needs.

If you care to talk about it here, feel free. Bozo gave you some suggestions and Ped gave some important ideas to consider.

In the end, though, the control, or lack thereof, of your anger, is in your hands. We all need assistance from time to time learning new coping skills. That's what your need really is. A need to learn how to deal with your anger. It's doable. Believe that and take your first steps. We're here for you.

Shalom!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I already did take the 1st step in admiting that my anger is to much (albeit not as bad as it used to be but still to much)

now time for step 2 calling the mental health facility damn thats gonna be a hard thing to do.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

I think you'll be pleasantly refreshed when you do reach out for that help you need to control your unhealthy anger.
Here's a bit I found:

What is an anger management class, and how does it work?
An anger management class is a way to teach people how to express their anger in a controlled, healthy way. We teach people about what anger is, how to recognize their anger triggers, how to become aware of their own feelings of anger, and how to keep their anger under control. We also discuss what other feelings they may have going on, such as depression. We can do this individually, with spouses or families, or in groups.

So, for the person who was in the military, for example, we would work with him on realizing that he doesn't need to yell and scream and get aggressive when he's angry. We'd also work with him on issues he may have with his upbringing, such as being in an abusive household.

How do you know if you might benefit from an anger management class?
Not everyone who gets angry needs an anger management class. You may get ticked that your television remote control doesn't work and throw it across the room. Do you have an anger management issue if you do that? Probably not.

But if you have run-ins with the police, you physically harm someone or you try to intimidate someone with your anger, you could probably benefit from an anger management class.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ang...gement/MH00075
The Mayo Clinic is a great source of information. Look around the site for more info. I think it'll help.

Shalom!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here you go - a workshop right in lovely Fort McMurray:

http://www.woodbuffalo.cmha.ab.ca/bi...1104-1184-1297

Forty dollars for the course, or a subsidy if you can't afford it - Oh Canada!

Don't be put off by the term "mental health" - it doesn't mean crazy, it's just a term used for issues relating to mental health and well-being as distinct from physical health and well-being.