Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

how do you know when you have despression, or if your just having a bad day?

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am posting this because as most of you know if you have read my story that my dad is an addict (currently clean) and there are times when I think I suffer from depression but I cant be sure so how do I tell if I have despression or if I am just pissed off for the day?

I gotta know if I have this or not.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi King - you are up late! I'm on the island so only 10:46 here. I guess I don't have an answer for you but I know I have ups and downs - I have an AD - I trust my Dr. and I'm sure you could talk to yours too. Don't you think that would be a good idea. Having a Dad an addict doesn't help but look after yourself and make an appointment soon. OK (((HUGS)))
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
IO Storm

O.K. The absolute best way is to see a qualified physician.

This would be a psychologist or pyschiatrist. Psychiatrists

are also medical doctors who can order diagnostic tests

and prescribe medication. It is better to see a doctor and

discuss symptoms, as persons with mild depression and/or

low self esteem might read books or pages on the web on the

subject and erroneously believe they have everything which

would be self-defeating. However, others here may be able to direct

you to appropriate websites, if you wish.. Maybe a moderator?

Thanks for sharing King.

I pray you find the help you need.

Love,

IO
Old 03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dont even know if I need help, thats what I am trying to find out cause if IU do I will not HESITATE to ghet it.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Oh Brownie, Icouldn't send a thanks four YOUR helpful

post, the thankie button not working....

Sherry
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Hi King - you are up late! I'm on the island so only 10:46 here. I guess I don't have an answer for you but I know I have ups and downs - I have an AD - I trust my Dr. and I'm sure you could talk to yours too. Don't you think that would be a good idea. Having a Dad an addict doesn't help but look after yourself and make an appointment soon. OK (((HUGS)))
]this is early for me, it's 12 here I'll be up till about 3
Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

King: Try this website. It is NIMH and will not try to "push"

you into some clinical trial for a new drug. It seems you

are desperate, so you might begin here. I am not too good

at this, but you cansimply go to your search engine and

type in "Depression".

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinform...essionmenu.cfm

Depression-National Institute of Mental Health

Sherry
Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

KING...my philosphy is that if you're not sure...that's when a doctor should be seen. If you have insurance, the best thing you could do for yourself is to schedule an evaluation with a psychologist.

Just in thinking that you might be dealing with something...is enough reason to have it checked out. So many people suffer from mental illnesses and depression for years (and often for their whole lives) without finding out that what they were experiencing wasn't how it is suppose to be -- and that with a proper diagnosis and doctor's help....they could have lived such a more productive and happy life.

Your father being an addict (in my book and only my book) is good enough reason to get an evaluation by a psychologist. I say this because addiction not only runs in family lines, but many people unknowingly become addicts because they were self-medicating an underlying mental illness -- such as a low level depression or ADD or whatever. They didn't know they were self-medicating...and they sure didn't know they would become addicted. So...if there's something there....isn't it better to find out sooner...rather than later?

It is also a personal theory of mine (that i've come to see from my research of both addiction and mental illness)...that the majority of addicts and alcoholics have 1 or more mental illness, but that it hasn't been diagnosed because when symptoms really started showing...that's when the addictions came into play and then it became difficult to see the underlying mental illness.

Just remember...both addiction AND mental illness/depression run in family lines...through generation after generation.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd suggest going to a clinical psychologist. Psychologists are the highest trained professionals at diagnosing mental health concerns. They can do a structured interview and possibly some assessments to help you figure out what is going on. Psychiatrists are also great resources, though they typically focus on meds management, and sometimes just handle referrals from psychologists once a dx is established.

-p

ps. I have an admitted bias towards clinical psychologists, but I still think this is a perfect case for a clinician.